In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Think I found my AR load

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
I been working on putting together a load for my AR 15 primarily for plinking. Recently I switched from a Holographic sight to a Leupold 1.5-5x20. I can still switch back to the HOLO thanks to the American Defense Recon H mount. The mount is rock solid and repeats zero just like they claim. I had been using IMR 4198 and had very acceptable results, but it does not meter worth crap. I wanted a load that I could sit down with prepped brass and knock out a couple hundred in an evening with my Rock Chucker. I settled on 25 grains of BLC2, CCI 400's, Midway FBHP Dogtown bullets and assorted NATO and commercial brass. This shoots good enough for me considering the awful trigger (8+pounds), cant even get a reading on my RCBS trigger gauge. My birthday is next month, maybe I should ask for a Geissele trigger.

3" bull, 5 shots at 100 yards.
arblc2_zps4c6ef57f.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've always liked BLC2 for my AR'S [^]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran BL(C) Lot 2 in my 700 Varmint Special in 223. Never got that rifle to shoot better with my ammo than factory stuff so I gave it away. Nice group for a plinker.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trigger job- I bet you will cut that group in half! I got mine down to about 4+- lbs (I also played with the torque on the barrel nut) That also made a big difference.

Don't get me wrong- not criticizing! I have been able to mess around with mine enough to find out It was not the load that was holding back on the accuracy I wanted, it was the other little things as mentioned.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Trigger job- I bet you will cut that group in half! I got mine down to about 4+- lbs (I also played with the torque on the barrel nut) That also made a big difference.

Don't get me wrong- not criticizing! I have been able to mess around with mine enough to find out It was not the load that was holding back on the accuracy I wanted, it was the other little things as mentioned.

I've have the JP reduced power spring kit sitting on my desk for three months. I have pretty good instructions from a Shotgun News article on polishing with a stone and dremel. I read on the web if you shoot NATO ammo do not change out the hammer spring. I shoot mostly handloads, but have a nice little stock pile of XM193 and M855. Maybe after physical therapy tomorrow I'll mess with the trigger. If I get myself in trouble Brownells is but a click away.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as long as the firing pin spring pressure isn't changed, the trigger spring pressure change will not affect the opertion with NATO ammo. If you mess with the firing pin spring pressure, you can have a problem.[;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RobOZ,

What I would try first is the "15 minute trigger job". Nothing like spending $200 on a trigger only to find your rifle shoots no better.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Worth a read. If you don't feel comfortable trying it, DON'T attempt it. Otherwise, it's a pretty solid breakdown on how to do it. I've had friends be amazed at how good the trigger feels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    RobOZ,

What I would try first is the "15 minute trigger job". Nothing like spending $200 on a trigger only to find your rifle shoots no better.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Worth a read. If you don't feel comfortable trying it, DON'T attempt it. Otherwise, it's a pretty solid breakdown on how to do it. I've had friends be amazed at how good the trigger feels.

I did the trigger this morning. I had bought a JP trigger spring kit a couple a months ago because it was cheap. I took a trigger pull reading before I started, it read you need a trigger pull gauge that goes higher than 8 pounds. I popped the trigger and hammer out and polished per instruction that I had from Shotgun news. I installed the polished parts and put some lube on engagement areas . I then took a reading, it read 6.5-7 pounds and felt smoother. I then took the trigger and hammer out and installed a JP reduced power spring kit. I then took some more readings and the trigger is around 5-5.5 pounds and a lot smoother. I guess I'm used to 2 pound varmint triggers and can't warm up to all the trigger travel. It will work until I can afford a competition trigger. Also the JP folks said the springs may not ignite NATO primers, well I ran three 30 round mags without a hiccup. The ammo consisted of 30 S&B SS109, 30 WCC XM193, and 30 LC XM193. I would not stake my life or money on the springs with NATO ammo.
  • Options
    rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can get about 5 shots into a 1.5" group at 100yards off of benched sandbags. I have a 10 1/2" SBR RR AR in .223 with a 4 MOA red dot sight. My load is a Sierra 50gr. SP (#1320) on top of 21gr. of IMR-4198 and a medium crimp from my Lee FCD. I get ZERO muzzle flash from this load in low light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rawiron1
    I can get about 5 shots into a 1.5" group at 100yards off of benched sandbags. I have a 10 1/2" SBR RR AR in .223 with a 4 MOA red dot sight. My load is a Sierra 50gr. SP (#1320) on top of 21gr. of IMR-4198 and a medium crimp from my Lee FCD. I get ZERO muzzle flash from this load in low light.

I got 10 pounds of IMR4198 and hate the stuff. The thing is I have a bolt gun that loves it. I just hate weighing charges. With the ball powder I weigh one every 12 or 15 rounds.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Geissele triggers in two of my ARs. One is adjustable and one is not. They are heads and shoulders above the factory. Another to consider is the trigger from ATC.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1