In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Load All

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
"Inherited" a Lee Load All today. It looks complete, but I don't know much about them. Anything I need to be aware of before I jump in face first?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Here's what you get new. I started loading with one in the mid '60,s.
    It will do a good job as long as you have good hulls.

The Lee Load-All 2 offers the reloader a an inexpensive option when it comes to making cost effective shotgun shells. This press includes eight shot bushings that measure 7/8, 1, 1-1/8, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 1-3/4 and 1-7/8 ounces. The 1-7/8 ounce bushing is a small tab that fits inside the charge bar. Also included with this press are sixteen powder bushings that measure: 095, 100, 105, 110, 116, 122, 128, 134, 141, 148, 155, 163, 171, 180, 189 and 198 cubic centimeters. Unlike other more expensive presses the Lee Load-All 2 also comes with 6 and 8 point crimp starters, safety charge bar, steel sizing ring, aluminum plate for primer catcher, spare wad guide, primer guide, spring and pin, one screw and two bolts with locking nuts. Additionally the 12 and 20 gauge models can load 3" shells without needing an expensive conversion kit.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fill the powder hopper first, then run about 10 or 20 charges into a box to settle the powder, check the charge weight with a scale. Big shot can be a pain to shear, a separate shot dipper can be handy.

When I load for my 37 Ithaca I run the cases in my MEC collet super sizer or they sometimes jam in the mouth of the magazine tube.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I"ve loaded thousands on them,and for the money they do a good job.

I"ve found that the powder bushings throw light,even after settling.
    the Lee does not put a nice rounded nose on the shell like my Hornady,but for my double barrel that is fine.for semi-autos it CAN b e a problem,but it is what is.

If anyone knows how to change out bushings without dumping the hoppers,I"m all ears.That is where the MEC machines shine,imho.

right now with shot at 50.00/bag I may just buy factory 'cheap' shells,the math says no savingsa at 50 bucks for shot.

I pick up the cheap Gun Club hulls that most people don't/won't reload,and get at least 4 loadings out of them.A lot of people say "uuse AA's or STS or you'll be sorry " . great,leavves more gun clubs for me. LOL

as to hulls,they are not all created equally,one recipe,especially the wad,won't necessarily make a proper column height for another brand of hull.

I almost always have to add small pinch of shot before crimping to make the crimp come out right. no biggee.. here again the MEC jr with aftermarket adjustable bar shines.big price difference tho.

hope that helps.
  • rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's crude but I have been using one for 20 years for target loads.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rawiron1
    It's crude

Then we'll get along just fine