In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Powder

edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
I was given 6lbs of this powder, don't know where to find load data for it. thanks in advance

[img][/img]powder003.jpg[img][/img]powder002.jpg

Comments

• edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved out of the US about 10 years ago but come back each summer and load up a bunch of cartridges. Usually Unique but other powders as well. The powder was along in years but I've kept it in the original containers in climate controlled storage and it's worked fine. But this year the climate has not been so controlled and the cans are rusty. Furthermore in the past it seemed the powder had a chemical smell but this year they all smell sweet. Am I imagining some thing or is it now fertilizer.I appreciate any help you can give me
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what you mean by "sweet", but if the rust is only on the outside of the cans I'd say go ahead and use it. (maybe load a few rounds and try them before going all out)
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A sweet solvent smell is fine. A bitter acrid smell is bad. Red dust forming is bad. I still shoot powder/primers I bought in the 70's just fine.
  • edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    A sweet solvent smell is fine. A bitter acrid smell is bad. Red dust forming is bad. I still shoot powder/primers I bought in the 70's just fine.

when you get a strong acetic smell, it's time to invest in new powder.