In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading dies worn out?

wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
I inherited a set of .308 Redding dies that I know were well used. How do you determine when they are worn out. I have tried to resize a few cases and found that they will not chambber without difficulty. Seem to off by .002 after sizing.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlikely to be worn out, but it's possible. Some dies are looser than others just as some chambers are tighter. Shell holder is part of the equation too.

Is your case length correct?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    normally Dies dont wear out . As stated cases may need trimming. Shell holder may be wrong make to allow case to go fully into the die.Bullet may not be seated deep enough. Rifle chamber may be on the short side of SPEC.

EDIT YOU JUST STATED your cause. Mismatched brands between sizing die and shell holder Whose directions[?][?][?][?]use some 220 grit followed by 400 grit followed by 600 grit to remove .010 off bottom of sizing die.then try again. Try the same instructions you did the first time then adjust the die until you get correct case head to case shoulder length.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case trimed to 2.005 (.308 case). Shell holder Lyman #2 new. Shell holder set according to the Instructions.

Have not seated bullets want case to be right first.
    edited November -1
    Add comment. New Ruger Gunsite Scout bolt action is what I have chambered the case in. Some go some don't.
    edited November -1
    Dies are cheap over the life of the rifle or you. If I were looking for a new set I'd consider a Lee collet neck sizer.

What brass are using? It seems to me the die and the rifle are fixed, if some brass works and some don't; it's the brass.
    edited November -1
    The brass has a GFL on the headstamp. I have another die set that is a competition set. Ill give it a try.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off by .002 where. At the web? Shoulder?
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty unlikely for a rifle die set to be worn out.

Maybe try small base shell holder?
    edited November -1
    Problem at shoulder.
    edited November -1
    Give the die another 1/16 turn. 1/16 turn = .004"
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Maybe try small base shell holder?"
    I've never seen one of those.
    I have seen combinations of sizing die and shell holder that would not allow proper resizing to fit a really tight chambered rifle.
    I sent a couple of 223 sizing dies back after they reached the point of not properly sizing. Even though the cases I'd been sizing had been tumbled, there was enough residue left to put a significant amount of wear on the die. Those LEE dies lasted about 10K each. If I had changed the media more often or ran the mostly clean brass through another short cycle with fresh media, this probably wouldn't have happened.
    edited November -1
    Turn down another 1/16 . Correct?
    Should there be any gap at all between the shell holder and die?
    Thanks for the input.
    edited November -1
    For full length sizing no gap, for neck sizing about a nickel thickness gap is about right.

Never saw a small base shell holder but have seen some plained off some.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    Thanks for the input.

Right on about another 1/16 turn, or set your full length sizing die down fairly tight where the press has a slight break over with the existing shell holder, then don't just full size a case in one stroke or you might get a case stuck in the die, when the press starts feeling tight back the case out and go slightly farther in the next sizing step after using your fingers and applying little more lube to the sides of the case. Use IMPERIAL sizing die wax and IMPERIAL dry neck lube to reduce the number of stuck cases.

If you are using a case spray type lube you will eventually get a stuck case if the cases hard to size or squeaking in the die.
    If you have never used IMPERIAL sizing die wax, you won't believe how much more user friendly it is for full sizing as compared to others.
    Most of the spray lubes suck big air for full case sizing and hard sizing issues such as yours and enhances the chances of stuck cases in the die.

If some of your cases after sizing chamber ok NOW and others don't this is a indicator your sizing die needs to be closer to the shell holder. If some still chamber tight or not at all try resizing them again and if no go you may have to go to a SMALL BASE SIZER DIE.
    Sometimes the thicker military brass is tougher to get sizer due to it being fired in a full spec chamber and the brass is stretched at the lower end by the web area. Also try the tight cases in another rifle chamber to get an idea if you have a tight chamber and need a small base sizer die for your gun.
    edited November -1
    Arkie and others,
    Appreciate the opportunity to pick the brains of persons who have been around the reloading bench. I have read a few books on reloading as I am new to reloading rifle rounds, but none mentioned how to solve this problem. Ya'll are all a warehouse of experience that I will continue to pick and promise to pass all I learn on to the next group.
    Just ordered the small base sizer die, will let you know.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had problems with 6mmbr cartridges, my first venture into bottleneck cases, and found out that camming over the press ram would resize a little further down the case and solved my problems. I screwed the sizing die about 1/4 turn past contact with the shell holder, and if done properly, you will feel the little extra movement on the press handle when sizing the case.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your shoulders are .002" too long, you need to turn the die down further. You are doing what is known as "partial full length" sizing.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    Thanks for the input.

By lowering the die 1/16 of a turn. It should move the shoulder back approximately .004". Giving you .002" of headspace.

That should be just about perfect.
    edited November -1
    Small base sizer die arrived today. Problem solved.
    Now the question is can I use the one die for both the .308 semi-auto M1A and the bolt action Ruger Gunsite Scout or should I keep the brass seperate and use seperate dies?
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot small base sized rounds through a bolt gun. If I was loading for maximum accuracy I would use a regular full length sizer die. Try it both ways, it probably won't make enough of a difference to matter in the Ruger.
    edited November -1
    I'd be neck sizing the ammo for the bolt gun after it was fire formed. Autoloaders usually work better full length sized.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep the brass seperate and use seperate dies
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]