In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got owned on some .308 LC brass.

rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
I won't mention names here but after allot of drama trying to process .223 mil spec brass I went to new or fully processed only. Same thing with .308. I got a bunch of fully processed .308 Lake City brass from Gun Broker and after spot checking a few I found out real quick that all the guy did was primer punch and polish. The ream job on the primer pockets was sub par. Full length resizing was not enough. I had to buy a small base die to get these to chamber in my M1A. My Winchester brass loads, reloads, and cycles just fine so I know it's the brass. Lessons? Buyer beware! I am only going to buy fully processed mil brass from name brand companies from now on.

I would like to note however that I did buy some fully processed GFE .223 brass from Broker and it was done correctly.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer to do all my own work, can't blame anyone. The last batch of Remington 8mm brass had some with off center flash holes. Quality control!

That your rifle requires small base dies to load for isn't that unusual.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went through just about the same thing with the "processed" brass I picked up on GB for my M1A. Recieved quite a few responses under my topic "RELOADING DIES WORN OUT?" wiz1997. Check out the responses, good info. Went to a small base sizer die and problem solved. Except now I'm told I should use one set of dies for semi-auto and another for bolt.

The first case in my new small base sizer die was a bit scary.
    Very tight going for the last 3/8" of the case.
    Lube well my friend.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    You might have bought some LC brass that was fired in a machine gun. Small base is the only way to tame machine gun brass as far as I know.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    Went through just about the same thing with the "processed" brass I picked up on GB for my M1A. Recieved quite a few responses under my topic "RELOADING DIES WORN OUT?" wiz1997. Check out the responses, good info. Went to a small base sizer die and problem solved. Except now I'm told I should use one set of dies for semi-auto and another for bolt.

The first case in my new small base sizer die was a bit scary.
    Very tight going for the last 3/8" of the case.
    Lube well my friend.

I use SB 308 dies for my M1A, and competition dies for my PSS-LTR.
    Same for my 223 rifles.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you buy fired 308 brass, be sure and find out if it was machine gun brass. Most is so stretched that it can be loaded only once. If you pay more than scrap price, you get taken.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    When you buy fired 308 brass, be sure and find out if it was machine gun brass. Most is so stretched that it can be loaded only once. If you pay more than scrap price, you get taken.

Not my experience. I have a couple hundred 308 milsurp cases, some inevitably fired from a machine gun. I can get 5 loadings out of them in a loose chambered FAL.

Also, I didn't need to take the plunge on small base dies to get them to run right; my regular Lee dies worked fine.