In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50 BMG

has anyone wildcatted the 50 bmg yet? just wonderin.

tater

Comments

• Options
    longdeer338longdeer338 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came across a website that listed some other powders for the 50 BMG beside the normal 50 BMG etc.. They were listing loads using common rifle powders. Anyone here try using more common powders in their BMG? Results?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amyone shoot or have any luck with cast bullets for 50 BMG
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 BMG is running to fast for most cast bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    could you reduse the load for deer then use cast. I just have lots of lead and figured it would save money. I also have API bullets but just cant get them to group well, have you any luck there
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    longdeer338,

Ignore the off-topic quibbling...

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=607397

Best.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longdeer338
    could you reduse the load for deer then use cast. I just have lots of lead and figured it would save money. I also have API bullets but just cant get them to group well, have you any luck there

Make sure you size the API's before loading or you will get shotgun pattern groups. Lee makes a good stout .510 push through sizer that works for those. Made a huge difference in my groups.
    Not too sure 50BMG would be a good application for cast.
    first you will get less than 10 bullets per pound (typically 850grs) and usually a 50bmg is a long range round/gun (no less than 100yds) and I haven't seen a cast 50 cal round that has a good long range profile.

Just my experience and opinion on the matter