In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nickel plated brass

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
I just bought some once-fired (I hope) nickel plated brass. Anything different in reloading this? I only noticed that it costs alot more when you buy it new and this was a good deal (1000 pieces for $20).

shane

sig.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have about 70-80 once fired casing from Winchester Supreme rounds. Is it possible to reload these? Is there any special steps needed to these shells?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking for rifle brass to reload i noticed three lots for sale all in the same condition. one lot nickel plated and the other two brass. no one bidding on the nickel stuff, is there a downside to nickel plated brass. i load it in pistol cases without any problems.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will fail sooner. It is much slicker and doesn't grab the chamber walls as well (this is a bad or good thing). I avoid nickeled brass but it does work better in leather cartridge loops.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They claim it can be hard on reloading dies. I prefer yellow brass for handloads, but if I was to have a free bucket of nickel brass I would use it. I think it looks pretty with a .308 180 grain ballistic tip too.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For whatever reason the plating process seems to make the brass harder, therefor more brittle and it will split more quickly at the neck than all brass will. It is a plus in hunting wet areas as it does not turn green with verdi gras.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll use it if it is mixed in with a lot or if it is factory stuff I shoot, but as the guys said; it doesn't seem to last as long when reloaded multiple times as standard yellow brass does.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only used it, in my 25 WSSM, for hunting.

It was loaded three years ago. Still looks pretty and still goes bang.

I am only on the 2nd or 3rd loading for it. No split neck issues....even with pretty stiff loads.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the nickel plated stuff for certain hunting loads. I don't load it more than 3-4 times simply because I don't shoot these loads that much. It sure does make some nice looking loads when used with plastic tipped bullets.