In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brinell Hardness

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
What would be a good hardness range for pistol bullets? Rifle bullets? Yesterday I received a Lee hardness tester and want to simplify my lead inventory for easy use.

I have a lot of soft lead, melted wheel weights, range lead, linotype, etc. Will save some of the soft for muzzle loading bullets.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know all of the hardness scale but it might be worth your while to get onto the Missouri Bullet Co website and they show it on every bullet they sell.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    This will help,

Cast Performance claims their lead bullets are 18-21 BH, Hunters Supply are 15, and Meister's are 14-16 (44 cal to use from 44 Mag). My understanding is that I should look for one from 16-18 for optimal performance.

Brinell hardness numbers

Material

Hardness

Softwood (e.g., pine) 1.6 HBS 10/100
    Hardwood 2.6-7.0 HBS 1.6 10/100
    Lead 5.0 HB (pure lead; alloyed lead typically can range from 5.0 HB to values in excess of 22.0 HB)
    Aluminium 15 HB
    Copper 35 HB
    Mild steel 120 HB
    18-8 (304) stainless steel annealed 200 HB[4]
    Glass 1550 HB
    Hardened tool steel 1500-1900 HB
    Rhenium diboride 4600 HB
    Note: Standard test conditions unless otherwise stated
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    for pistol bullets under 1000 FPS hardness is really not that important
    Correct size .001-.002 over bore size and proper lube "Good soft LUBR not the Hard candle Wax that most commercial cast bullets come with "ONLY BECAUSE THEY PACK & SHIP WELL AND LOOK GOOD" I have loaded over 200.000 Swaged pure soft lead bullets with Soft lube in 45ACP never a problem great grouping out of ransom rest.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the working pressure of the cartridge. The bullets base, plain or gas checked. Lyman tested all rifle & pistol loads with Lyman #2 alloy in my very old guide.AlloyBlending1.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drive Wheel Weight rifle bullets to 2,000FPS w/o issues. Perry Shooter has it right. sizing and a good lube is critical to success with cast bullets.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brinell is only valid for softer materials as it uses a hardened steel ball penetrator.
    For harder materials Rockwell B and C scales are used. The C scale uses a diamond penetrator. Gun parts are in the Rc 30-50 range. Soft hot rolled steel is about Rb 99.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brinell is only valid for softer materials as it uses a hardened steel ball penetrator.
    For harder materials Rockwell B and C scales are used. The C scale uses a diamond penetrator. Gun parts are in the Rc 30-50 range. Soft hot rolled steel is about Rb 99.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. I took the time yesterday to re-melt all my wheel weight and range lead ingots and mix in linotype for a hardness of 16 to 17. Now have about 75 pounds ready to as needed.