In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading 45ACP without belling case?

BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
I am getting ready to load some 45ACP on my Dillon 550B and not quite ready to change everything over from 9mm on the machine. I have Dillon dies and just wanted to load up 25 or so on my single stage press until I change the machine over to 45. On the single stage I sized and primed the cases and was getting ready to bell the cases and from what I see the Dillon dies don't have it because they rely on the powder drop stage to take care of the belling. My question is if I don't bell the cases and load 230gr lead RP bullets into the cases that are not belled will it raise the pressure to much in the case to be safe? I have already seated a bullet in a case and it is snug but almost no lead was rubbed of the bullet so it looks OK but I would rather ask to see if any of you have seated bullets in a 45 without belling? I can always wait and change the machine over when I am through loading 9mm. One of these days I will buy another 550B so I can run two calibers at once. Thank,

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not do it. Might work but reloading is not a game to skip steps with. Bell the case to avoid shaving the bullets. Taper crimp according to Perry SHooters sticky on the subject above.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You need just enough bell to hold the bullet without tipping. It should be enough to not shave any lead. You might not get away with no bell with jacked bullets. I've loaded thousands 200gr semi-wadcutters with a slight bell and a good taper crimp [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just a thought But the 20 or so loaded without belling the cases will in no way be the same as ones loaded on the Dillon later. will they be over pressure [?] Only if your sizing die is so big that the bullet is not tightly held and as the bullet contacts the barrel feed ramp the Bullet is pushed deeper into the case. This might be your case if seating does not shave lead. The mechanics of loading lead bullets is Vastly different then Jacketed bullets . Seating bullets involve moving the bullet into the case all the way to the end of the stroke of the ram. You can't have it both ways #1bullet pull by case gripping bullet and no shaving. +no feed trouble allowed by a smooth transition from shoulder on the lead bullet and taper crimped case mouth. You need both a seating die and taper crimp die on lead bullets if you want 100 % function of the pistol . I have loaded over 300,000 45acp match grade ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. You are sure right about doing things right. The bullet is so tight in the case that it left a ring on the lead bullet head by the seating plug and it is the round one. Once I get the 230gr RN down I want to start with the 200gr SWC because what I hear it is more accurate. I know that there are better machines than the 550 but it works for me. I did everything single stage before I got it and it still amazes me how many pistol rounds a guy can put out in an hour or so. Where I have to index the machine manually I find that it takes total concentration but so does a single stage. Thanks again for the info,
    Boats.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    'belling' (or not) will not effect pressure at all, it simply makes bullet seating easyer. your final step should be a slight taper crimp. as to changing your dillon over............come on, this is a less than 5 min. job.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes your right about the five minute job except having to change out the priming from small pistol to large pistol primers. If I ever find another 550 at a good price I will pick it up so I have one set for small and one for large primers. Other than that they are great to change caliber on. I have had very good luck with my Dillon and like it a lot. If they ever make an indexer for it I will invest in that also.quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    'belling' (or not) will not effect pressure at all, it simply makes bullet seating easyer. your final step should be a slight taper crimp. as to changing your dillon over............come on, this is a less than 5 min. job.[;)]
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not see how the rounds could be over pressure by seating jacketed bullets without a flare/bell at the case mouth. The only problem would be not expanding the case ID, as that will make the case too small to easily accept the bullets and you will either scrap off copper from the bullet or bulge the case shoving the bullet in.
    Jacketed bullets have been loaded for 100 years without flaring/belling the case mouth. Flaring does make loading easier, but it doesn't effect the pressure of the round.
    If the case have been chamfered and expanded (and again, NOT talking case mouth flare), the bullets can be seated just fine--just not as easily.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, one more comment:
    If you don't have an expander die, then install the Dillon powder measure with the correct "powder funnel" and no powder and expand/bell all the cases.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you chamfer the case mouth inner edge you might get away without shaving tapered base hard cast bullets. But why?
    Lee makes a finished round sizing die that removes any bulge at the crimp or alternately accepts a seated bullet in a belled case.
    It closes the bell, taper crimps and removes any bulge on the way out.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you chamfer the case mouth inner edge you might get away without shaving tapered base hard cast bullets. But why?
    Lee makes a finished round sizing die that removes any bulge at the crimp or alternately accepts a seated bullet in a belled case.
    It closes the bell, taper crimps and removes any bulge on the way out.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could have belled those cases in the time it took to write a book about it. LOL
    semi wad cutters may or may not be more accurate,every gun likes what it likes.They do put real pretty ROUND holes in paper targets tho.
    AS others have said,the bell has nothing to do with pressures,but shaving lead can affect accuracy,and jams up dies with lead and lube.