In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for a trap gun

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I want to buy my first "trap" gun. I've been using my semi-auto Beretta to shoot trap, but would like a gun with a trap rib.

Can't make my mind up which model to buy.

Looking right now at something affordable like a used BT-99.

Any ideas?

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    bt-99's are a very good 'trap' gun, others are rem.1100 tb (11/87 too) skb single barrel trap (long out of print), Citory trap.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I will second the SKB, dollar for dollar one of the best buys out there.
    W.D.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the old school Ithaca 4E or 5E.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would (DID!) pick a Remington 1100TA. The various Beretta 3XX model trap guns are nice, too.
    I prefer the soft recoil of a gas gun for long trap programs.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I would (DID!) pick a Remington 1100TA. The various Beretta 3XX model trap guns are nice, too.

I have a 391 Urika Gold Sporting but I don't see a trap barrel for It on Berettas website.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 TB or TC. No parts, no problems.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    If you are only going to shoot singles there are many good break open guns, as stated above BT-99, and SKB are excellent for the money. There are also quite a few "sets" with fixed chokes available, and most "local" shooters don't really change chokes anyway. Adjustable rib and stock are really nice and can be found for just a few more dollars then standard guns.

I currently own many sets and love the Beretta 682 Gold, but I can tell you one of the best I shot was a borrowed Remington 870 TC, so you don't need to get fancy to have a great gun.

Good luck, many great choices.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

I have a 391 Urika Gold Sporting but I don't see a trap barrel for It on Berettas website.

urika.jpg
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Bam:

If you like the 391 (good gun), have the rib taken off and have an adjustable rib put on. There are many sources to have this done. The adjustable rib plus and adjustable stock would be less then buying another gun.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Bam:

If you like the 391 (good gun), have the rib taken off and have an adjustable rib put on. There are many sources to have this done. The adjustable rib plus and adjustable stock would be less then buying another gun.

Good point[;)]

I already have a cantilever slug barrel for this gun also.
    edited November -1
    Kapo....email sent.