In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 90gr Berger/Sierra Favorite loads?

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
Looking to develop some loads but don't want to re-plow the same ground if anyone has any preference for loads that work well in an AR.

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I could help. 75gr is the heaviest I have loaded.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot some in single loading mode, as long OAL as the chamber throat will accept. I don't know if you can seat them deep enough for the magazine.
    I use Varget, at the Sierra maximum load of 22.4 gr for 90 gr Sierra bullets in .223.
    I have loaded Berger and JLK VLDs heavier but cannot back it up with published data. The Sierras will break up or distort if you load them any hotter.
  • Options
    rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I loaded some LC brass with a Fed match primer, 24.0 grs N550 and the 90 gr Berger, OAL 2.55". We'll see how they do.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That ought to work.
    I did not try N550 with a VLD but 24 gr did ok with 90 gr SMK.
    Not fast enough to stay supersonic at 1000 yards but it should be a good midrange load.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RayB,

I'm a little late to the party here, but have you tried RE-15? I suggest starting with 22 gr. and working up.

As noted, once you get to a certain point with the .223/5.56 you just plain run out of boiler room. The uber heavy for caliber bullets just don't have any good BC to carry them a long ways, and you can't get enough powder in the case to push them out fast enough.

FWIW, my best success has come with 69 gr. bullets. I tried shooting a lot with 75 and 77 gr. bullets, but they just don't get out fast enough to compete with the 69'ers.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've had very good results with RE-15 with heavy 223,s.