In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ely "target" ammo - any good

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
Yeah, I know Ely is good stuff... asking specifically about the yellow box "Target" flavor.

I know it isn't EPS or Tenex, but is it better than Ely Sport?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Better" is a relative when it comes to .22lr ammo. It may shoot better in one gun than something else, and worse in another.
    I had a Anschutz model 1408 target gun that shot as good with the regular old green and white remington std. vel. ammo for 99 cents a box than the $5.00 a box ely.
    When it comes to .22 target shooting ammo try them all and decide what shoots best for you and the cost involved.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While trying to not date myself, I remember when that Rem Green/White was $5 a brick and it shot rather well out of my Anschutz, a S&W Mdl 41 and a Hi-Standard target pistol. Can't remember when Rem brought out their 'Target' 22lr but it didn't come close (not to mention the misfires).

I 2nd the notion that expensive doesn't always equal accurate.

quote:Originally posted by babun
    "Better" is a relative when it comes to .22lr ammo. It may shoot better in one gun than something else, and worse in another.
    I had a Anschutz model 1408 target gun that shot as good with the regular old green and white remington std. vel. ammo for 99 cents a box than the $5.00 a box ely.
    When it comes to .22 target shooting ammo try them all and decide what shoots best for you and the cost involved.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, but in the under $10/50 price range my best shooter is a toss up between CCI SV and SK Magazine. Under 700 rounds left total, so the Great Panic has hit me, or will in a month or so, so I'm shopping now.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have discovered CCI standard velocity shoots just as well as ELEY ammo in most cases. Wolf Match Target was better in my guns than ELEY Sport or club.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have done extensive Testing in Many types of pistols using a ransom rest . The only thing I have found to be true. Is "the lot number"of each brand will give repeatable results. You may have one lot number of brand A shot great and another LOT number shoot poorly. You have to TEST to see what Shoots in you Pistol or Rifle. High price will not = great groups out of every Gun.