In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many times can you load the same brass?

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am new, I know, but I see abouts and not exacts. I understand you can probably load a brass case about 4-5 times. But how can you know when brass just needs to be tossed and is done being loaded? For me, I buy factory ammo and shoot that. Save the brass, and reload as long as possible. That is the plan anyway. But aside from cracks, splits, holes, whatever that makes the brass clearly unsafe to reload, how can you tell when a certain brass case is just done being loaded? I am thinking at some point in the resizing step, but I haven't gotten that far to find out. Or should I just plan to load 4 times and stop? Figure I will need to keep track of how many times each case is loaded.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the case, chamber, how hot you load them and the gun they are shot in. I have 44 mag I know have gone +20 before a split at the mouth. Some 38 Specials maybe upwards of 40. Some 45-70 more than 50 before the primer pockets wore out. 7 Rem mag perhaps 7 to 10. I tend to neck size only if I can. Annealing is a good skill to have, so is a case trimmer.

I keep track of brass loaded full tilt, the light cast bullet loads not so much. I also make a card with the date, bullet, powder and charge and the primer along with the reload #.

I have a buddy that only gets about 2 or 3 out of his 303 British before the head separates.

None of my guns have loose chambers. The ones I had were sold, traded or given away. Same goes for poor shooting ones. I see no point in shooting guns that don't hit where I aim within reason.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    the number of times is a function of brass-wear. this can be in the form of brass heated beyond the melting point, in which case it is only fired once- indicated by primer pocket expanded so primer falls out, brass flows into ejector button/slot or bolt needs to be hammered open due to sticking case. Usual wear is indicated by either 1. brass thinning ahead of the head(base) due to powder pushing on it as the powder moves forward on firing- the result is a crack when the brass thins to the point of separation. this thinning can be "felt" by straightening a paperclip, bending 1/4" at a 90 degree angle so that it's a long L, then filing the tip of the L to a point. Insert the L into the case and press the tip against the inside of the case. If there is a thinning you should be able to feel the point catch in the dip. or 2. the case gets workhardened, generally by expansion and resizing of the neck. The symptom here is that the neck will split. Once it splits, it's a goner. Case shape and pressure have a great deal to do with the longevity of cases. I have some straight sided cases that I fire less than maximum loads with and some of them have been fired 25 times, and still going.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got some 22-250, 243, and 30/06 brass that's been reloaded more than 5 times. The 22-250 and 243 brass required neck turning after 3-4 times and of course, all had been trimmed a couple of times at that point.
    On the other hand, I bought some once fired 243 brass on the GB auction that was ruined on the initial firing due to poor loading practices.
    I notice things like looser primer pockets or reduced neck tension first.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I've got some 22-250, 243, and 30/06 brass that's been reloaded more than 5 times. The 22-250 and 243 brass required neck turning after 3-4 times and of course, all had been trimmed a couple of times at that point.
    On the other hand, I bought some once fired 243 brass on the GB auction that was ruined on the initial firing due to poor loading practices.
    I notice things like looser primer pockets or reduced neck tension first.

Plus one on the primer pockets and neck tension. I have a LOT of 01, WW NATO 556 that has been loaded seven times.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DieHard4
    I am new, I know, but I see abouts and not exacts. I understand you can probably load a brass case about 4-5 times. But how can you know when brass just needs to be tossed and is done being loaded? For me, I buy factory ammo and shoot that. Save the brass, and reload as long as possible. That is the plan anyway. But aside from cracks, splits, holes, whatever that makes the brass clearly unsafe to reload, how can you tell when a certain brass case is just done being loaded? I am thinking at some point in the resizing step, but I haven't gotten that far to find out. Or should I just plan to load 4 times and stop? Figure I will need to keep track of how many times each case is loaded.

I have some 45 brass that has been loaded dozens of times with bullseye target loads, no signes of issues. Some rifle brass, 30-06 LC 67 match, that has been fired a dozen times with 46 grains of IMR 4895 amd a 168 SMK with no signs of failure or fatigue.

Generally speaking the hotter the rifle load coupled with shoving the shoulder back excessivly the shorter the brass life. Nickle plated cases tend to fail before straight brass and bottle neck cases fail before straight walled cases. Not anealing the rifle case neck leads to premature splitting also.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For money purposes I am starting with 9mm, .45, and .38 Special, and 12 gauge for reloading. Just because I shoot handguns a lot more than anything else. I plan to get into rifle later, but I've spent enough on equipment, dies, and primers right now.

So by following recommended recipes, I can probably plan on my brass lasting a long time then right? In the above listed calibers at least. I am interested in loading ammo for practice, not so much to make the best and hottest. I basically just need powders and bullets and I can start loading.

What I will probably do too, is buy factory ammo and save that brass for reloading, rather than buying new brass. Looking at prices, new brass costs about the same as factory loaded ammo, so I figure I might as well just get some loaded and save that brass. But that will put all my brass starting at 1x reloaded.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been stated, there is nothing "exact" about it... unless you make a rule to only fire a reloaded case "X" number of times before giving it the pliers treatment and tossing it. (And there is nothing wrong with that if you so choose, by the way.)

I have ruined more cases by wrinkling the case (not enough case mouth bell) or applying too much force on the handle when changing from a "Magnum" to a "Special" with the seating die than I have had seperate or split when firing. Examine your fired cases, if it looks like it is not right give it a squeeze and pitch it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Usually my case necks wear out and split before the rest of the case wears out. I have some 30-06 brass that's approaching 120 reloads with very light loads, neck sizing only, and cast bullets. Usually I get 20-30 reloads before a crack develops.

Things to watch for though with warm loads include incipient case head separation, indicated by a shiny line around the base of the case where the brass is getting thin (you can check that by sectioning one case or feeling inside with a wire), loose primer pockets, or other cracks, crumples, or excessive dents. Would I shoot brass that was 20 times fired in a match or hunting? Probably not. But for plinking it's fine.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't keep track of the number of times the case has been reloaded. Worst thing that happens on mine is a small crack will start at the case mouth, Some of my brass does have primer pockets that do not take much effort to seat a primer, but so far have had no issues develop with those pieces.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    One time I kept track of 20 rounds of 338 win mag and I got 24 loads out of them and tossed them they were still good just got chicken, the loads were in the top end, all my others I load them till the mouths start cracking.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I keep meticulous records of each and every loading on each batch of brass in all 20 calibers I reload for. I use a Rolodex filled with index cards, so I can look up a certain load for a match, or find a better load for plinking. I keep the brass clean & shiny after firing, so I can spot defects easier.
    If the brass in a certain batch gets too many "culls"(primer pocket doesn't hold primers, too many dents in the rim from extraction, thin shiny lines above the head,etc.), I usually send them in for a "brass exchange" at one of my suppliers.
    I can get nearly 40 loads in .357Mag, close to 30 from 9mm, 6-10 in 300WM, over 40 in 38Special, 10-14 in 357Sig, 20ish from 40S&W, up to 10 in 45ACP, and ZERO in 7.62X54 or 7.62X39.
    I have yet to get more than 5 out of .223 and 38Super; I think it has to do with the Major Power factor in the 38Super, and most .223 I shoot is in "fast" guns.