In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 colt vaquero 300 grain load

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
looking for a hunting load for the old model vaquero. i have 300 grain speer jsp bullets and 2400, imr4227, or unique powder. my manuals don't list loads for the 300 grain bullets. any help on a decent load. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The Blackhawks can use these loads, not sure if the Vaquero will stand them or not..
    2400 starts at 14.3 and maxes out at 15.9...
    IMR4227 starts at 17.9 and maxes out at 18.7...
    No clue about the Unique.......
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The Blackhawks can use these loads, not sure if the Vaquero will stand them or not..
    2400 starts at 14.3 and maxes out at 15.9...
    IMR4227 starts at 17.9 and maxes out at 18.7...
    No clue about the Unique.......
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The old model Vaquero is the same frame as the Blackhawk, and will withstand the same pressures. The new Vaquero is basically the same size as the Colt SAA, and will not handle the high pressure loads.
    The 2400 load Mrbruce has given you is a good one, it goes all the way back to Elmer Keith.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have rolled my own magnum-ish .45 colt loads for my old Vaquero using a Hornady 300 xtp-mag, 9.0 unique, WLP in Starline brass. The max I have read about using 310 gr cast is 9.2 gr. I don't have those bullets, however, so I have not done that load.

Like any load, it works for me, but reduce the load and then work up to it in your gun.