In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Plated Brass

booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
Does anyone reload nickel plated brass? Have not seen anything here about it. Heard it was hard on dies. Any info is appreciated![:)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nickeled brass generally doesn't last as many reloading's. Your carbide sizer die will not see any difference in practical working life. Nickeled brass is nicer in leather cartridge belt loops, doesn't corrode as fast. It extracts a little easier in guns with rough chambers
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    If you are NOT using carbide dies make sure you clean the sizing die after use. Small flecks of Nickel can create small grooves in brass (as I learned from some old dies I got in a "lot purchase").

I load a lot of Nickel because it's popular in .38 spec, but as Charlie indicates, I get a lot of cracking at the mouth and a lot less amount of times I can reload it. If I didn't have so much of it from "lot purchases" I would never use it vs. regular brass.

Although, it is pretty, if your into that type thing.

Best of luck
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It works fine, but as noted it tends to develop mouth cracks sooner than brass cases do.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is also harder at the surface than brass,..so MAKE SURE THE CASES ARE CLEAN OF ANY AND ALL DEBRIS, prior to sizing them. The debris, as stated, will wear the interior die surface during sizing. I try not to use it for that reason.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, just the info I am looking for. At present, I have only a handful and was wondering what the outcome would be if I ran a few. [:)]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have loaded 1,000s 38spl,s Justc and bpost have it right [;)]
    Keep'em clean and watch for splits [^]