In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 brass that don't fit cylinder?

mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
I have come across a few boxes of 357's that I loaded quite some time ago that don't fit in the cylinder of my pistols. They fit mostly down to the last 1/4 inch or so, then they stick bad. I can sometimes force them in, but then really tough to get out.
I just wondered if anyone else has had that experience??
Do I have to try each one in the cylinder after I load them, or mic each one?
Were my last ones too hot and the die only sizes the top 80 % of case?
What a pain to pull and I suppose I'll just have to sell the brass to salvage....I welcome any ideas....

Thanks
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to clean the crud ring out of your cylinder and they will slide right in.[;)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does sound like you have been shooting 38 Specials in your 357 and have built up some crud that prevents the longer 357's from fitting. I generally use a carbide die and full length size my straight wall pistol cases every time I reload them.
  • mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bambambam, but she is very clean. I can see how that is a good deduction though. I have several boxes of 357's that fit great, but have a few boxes that have some that fit or don't fit various depths...
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rounds fired in another 38spl, won't fit well into my Colt as the chambers are at minimum diameter.

Were the rounds you're having trouble with previously fired in a different chamber?

Remember the sizing die doesn't size all the way to the rim.
    A fast caliper check of the base diameter between the ones the do, and the ones that don't could tell you the reason why some do and some don't fit.
    edited November -1
    If they were channalered cases originally, that fold will iron out and the cases will be too long. Case trimming is in order to correct stretched cases.

What loading tools are you using?

What bullets are you using and what are they sized to? Crimp grove location can make a difference. 38 S&W bullets are too big for 38 Specials and 357's.

The tap in version Lyman full length sizer works all the way to the rim as there is no shell holder.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaded with lead bullets?
    I had a guy bring some ammo in with similar problems. Storage had been less than optimum and the lead had oxidized causing the cases to swell.
    That 1/4" does seem to point to the difference in case length between 357 and 38.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You say the rounds are reloads.
    Did you reload them?
    If you did, about how many times have they been shot?
    Is there a shiny ring just above the rim?
    If you can't see a shiny ring, is there a noticeable swelling?
    I theorize that the cases are swelled above the rim due to many loadings (and inadequate sizing) and should be discarded, or trimmed to 38 Specials (you'll still have the ring, and possibly incipient case head separation, but you'd rather have a 38 special let go 2 feet from your face than a 357).
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Try running them thru a LEE final crimp die, which will compress the lead a little if it's out of round or a little oversize. Run it thru 4 times rotating the round 90 degrees each time. Well worth the $12 even if it doesn't fix this problem.

Also, get a cartridge gage, it's well worth the $20-26 for each type round you load, if it fits the gage it fits most chambers.

Best of luck
  • mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the good info!!
    I have 3 boxes of these 357's that I am having trouble with. I loaded them quite some time back with 158gr lead SWC, Lane bullets. I show by my records that I've loaded them 3 times before with moderate 5 gr of 231Win. But I did buy them from a guy as empties, so no telling how many times they were fired before that. I have loaded JHP in the past with no problem.
    I don't see any shiny rings around them anywhere. I do see some slightly visible 'bulging' where the bottom of the bullet is seated in the case. I measured one of the cases It is .380 or so where the bullet is seated, .375 - .377 the rest of the case down to about 1/2" from the bottom where it goes to .381

I have a Dillon 550B I was using Hornady Durachrome Dies. I've got some RCBS Carbide dies I will probably use now.

I am going to load up several boxes and just wanted to avoid this happening again. I've got 3 pythons that I shoot.

Thanks again for the help!!
    edited November -1
    Score a few new boxes of 357 brass. What are your cast bullets sized to? That your jacket bullet loads worked fine tells me your cast bullets are oversized for your tight Python chambers. Could also be the brass is too long.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try rolling the cases between two pieces of flat iron or hard maple wood, pressing down hard. That may compress the high areas enough to chamber and fire the round. Then you can examine all the areas of possible problems. Take measurements of the bad reload, good reload and factory loaded. Comparing the diameters and length may show what the problem is.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a similar problem on occasion and if your problem is the same as mine, "geeguy"s solution may work for you. I ran mine halfway into a carbide sizing die. If I recall correctly my problem came from trying to put too strong a crimp on the round which caused a slight bulge in the case.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Try running them thru a LEE final crimp die, which will compress the lead a little if it's out of round or a little oversize. Run it thru 4 times rotating the round 90 degrees each time. Well worth the $12 even if it doesn't fix this problem.

Also, get a cartridge gage, it's well worth the $20-26 for each type round you load, if it fits the gage it fits most chambers.

Best of luck

Lee crimp die will take care of the problem.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You might want to read MY sticky at the top of this forum

THOUGHTS ON CRIMPING REVOLVER ROUNDS
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    last ones too hot
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]