In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 cal BP

Any one got a good load for BP 44 cal pistol. shot range say 25yds & a good o'l safe punch behind it ?

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    44-40.....

44 caliber bullet, 40 grains of blackpowder.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you asking about a BP cartridge or a muzzleloader?
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    A bud passed me on a revolver , 44 cal black powder, Euro arms remmy.

crude thing , but gonna have a play

44_zps8c1d3717.jpg
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not knowing the quality of your revolver I'd start, possibly stay, with a charge between 18 and 24gr of Pyrodex P.
    Find the flask spout that gives a charge in that range and use it to charge the plastic pre-charge tubes you have there.

As a note of Caution:
    Don't get in a rush to re-charge after firing. There may be a hot spark in one or more of the chambers. Put the hammer to half cock and blow across the face of the cylinder as you turn it.

When I learned to shoot these (mid 70's) I didn't have the advantage of someone to teach me. In my ignorance I charged directly from the flask. My angel must have been watching over me because the flash didn't go beyond the spout. Take your time and make sure you don't have a hot chamber.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The picture looks like a Rogers & Spencer, not a Remington.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    Not knowing the quality of your revolver I'd start, possibly stay, with a charge between 18 and 24gr of Pyrodex P.
    Find the flask spout that gives a charge in that range and use it to charge the plastic pre-charge tubes you have there.

As a note of Caution:
    Don't get in a rush to re-charge after firing. There may be a hot spark in one or more of the chambers. Put the hammer to half cock and blow across the face of the cylinder as you turn it.

When I learned to shoot these (mid 70's) I didn't have the advantage of someone to teach me. In my ignorance I charged directly from the flask. My angel must have been watching over me because the flash didn't go beyond the spout. Take your time and make sure you don't have a hot chamber.

Thank you & yes My mistake, after a better look it is R&S :).

Best to you & yours for a great new year .. Mond
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    Best to you & yours for a great new year .. Mond

The same to you and yours mond.

forgot to mention earlier.
    After you ram all of the balls home wipe a light smear of thick grease over them. This prevents chain fire in the event you don't get a good ball to cylinder wall fit.

Now, get out and make smoke.[:D]