In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

trimmer adapter

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone have any experience with the adapters that convert a manual rcbs trimmer for use with a cordless drill? Specifically the ones made by DACaM and West Desert USA. Seen these on fleabay and may possibly purchase one.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I considered making one for my Forster. Has a odd thread in the handle as I recall.

Lot cheaper than buying a powered unit that's for sure.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The adapter I'm familiar with used a SHCS (Socket Head Cap Screw) and a piece of a ball head Allen wrench.
    Works well for "mass trimming", but you need to watch the amount of pressure you place on the drill, as you can over-trim with to much pressure. Also you need to lube the shaft/trimmer bearing, to prevent it getting to hot. I also use it when turning/truing case necks on the same trimmer base.
    IIRC mine is a factory RCBS unit, but you should be able to duplicate it at your local hardware store.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a power screw driver on mine. It turns slow enough so it doesn't get hot [;)]
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Converted my Lyman over to a drill (kit was about $20). Love it.

I use a fast corded drill and the brass will get hot, so an adjustable speed drill would be better.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    read below for edited reply
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by wolfpack
    Anyone have any experience with the adapters that convert a manual rcbs trimmer for use with a cordless drill? Specifically the ones made by DACaM and West Desert USA. Seen these on fleabay and may possibly purchase one.

I tried the original rcbs power adapter and it was not user friendly when using a battery powered drill or a screwdriver. I converted the rcbs to one that looks similar to the DACam type with the grove. the grove I cut with a small round file (that looks like the DACaM allows me to use a quick connect chuck (small drill or screwdriver type quick connect chuck to the adapter so as to allow withdrawing the trimmer shaft after trimming a hull. A slow speed battery powered screwdriver is more user friendly than a drill. (the battery operated screwdriver is more user friendly than a elec drill, slower rpm and no heat, etc))
    Sears craftsman has a small battery operated slow speed screwdriver with the quick connect hex adapter. (it looks like a small drill but is a slow speed screwdriver with carrying case, adapters and charger, some small hex drive bits and the screwdriver drill can be used for other hobby type stuff also.

I also used a small round file on my lyman trimmer adapter to cut the groove for the quick connect adapter chuck. The quick connect adapter chuck allows the driver some wobble slack if all is not in line when rotating. Was easy to cut the groove in the trimmer adapter while using the slow speed driver to rotate the adapter in the trimmer while holding the file to the adapter shaft.

I also placed a locknut on both adapters threads and blue threadlock so as the driver could be reversed and the adapter would remain attached. (sometimes the trimmer spud wants to hang in a hull and reversing the screwdriver allows easier removal of the spud from the hull)