In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm cast bullet loads?

asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
Dad recently gave me Bub's Llama 9mm and I'm thinking to load 115gr cast for practice and plinking.

My only prior experience with cast was shooting GCHC years ago in a NM RBH 45 Colt so a little input on the two manufacturers I've looked at would be appreciated.

The ones in question are Missouri and ACME. They both list their 115gr RN as 16 BNH. I'm not looking to add the cost of gas checking, would I see any appreciable difference between one maker over the other?

Comments

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used neither, but I have had extremely good luck and fast shipping from Falcon Bullets.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, hardness is actually secondary to the proper bullet size with cast bullets. If you can slug your bore and order bullets .001 too .0015 over bore diameter you will experience minimal leading and best accuracy.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laylandad, thanks that's another to add to the list.

bpost, I hadn't heard or thought of a diameter issue. I always understood a bullet of proper hardness would self obturate. All of the ones I've looked at online show diameter of .356".
    I'll pour a slug to see whether I may have a problem.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another idea you may consider is using Berry's 115 plated bullets. I have used them for years in Brownings, H&K's, XD's and an AT-84. Work very well and if you order more than $75 worth in a single order they ship it to your door free.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    laylandad, thanks that's another to add to the list.

bpost, I hadn't heard or thought of a diameter issue. I always understood a bullet of proper hardness would self obturate. All of the ones I've looked at online show diameter of .356".
    I'll pour a slug to see whether I may have a problem.

My 9mm likes .357 a lot. Accuracy is on par with ball at that diameter. When shooting .356 it sprayed like a shotgun and leaded badly even with straight linotype. Experience is the best teacher!
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I wouldn't stoop to plated. Jacketed or cast only.
    For lead bullets, fit is 99.99% of the game. Slug the barrel and determine what the groove diameter is. Be sure bullets are at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter. Many commercial casters can size to meet your needs.
    I have ordered as-cast bullets and tumble lubed them myself in several cases. Frequently, I get a price break--never saw any need for sizing and sizing never improved the accuracy of my cast bullets.
    9x19 barrels can range from 0.355 to 0.362". I have guns that range from 0.355 to 0.359".
    There is no reason to even consider a gas check for a measly little 9x91. That is needed somewhere north of 1700fps.
    ALL commercial bullets are harder than needed. The most you need for 9x19 is 12BHN.
    I find that 0.356-0.357" jacketed and 0.356-0.358" lead bullets are perfect for nearly all 9x19s. Mastercastbullets.com and Missouri Bullets sell a "soft" alloy (still in the 15-16BHN range)--and Penn supplies a soft alloy in some of their bullets. Never heard of ACME.