In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Have decided that I want to try some informal longer range target shooting, up to 1500 yards or so and am looking at the Leupold LRT scopes. Is 20x enough or should I be looking at 25x or so? It will be on top of a Ruger VT in 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule of thumb in most cases, (And the same follows in astronomy) Distortion comes with Conditions at high magnification. With my NXS scopes, at long range 14-16x works best for me. They do go to 24x but It makes me a crappy shot when I ramp it up.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question, where on earth do you find a place to shoot those distances?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can always back off a high powered variable, that is the advantage of variable target scopes. My 8.5-25X seldom gets all the way to 25X but hardly ever below 20. Adjust to suit the lighting and mirage.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk,

Do you have the Leupold 8.5-25? If so what model is it and how do you like it?

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    You can always back off a high powered variable, that is the advantage of variable target scopes. My 8.5-25X seldom gets all the way to 25X but hardly ever below 20. Adjust to suit the lighting and mirage.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the picture would be crystal clear inside a building, even at 50x. The mirage is what distorts the view/focus. The sun, even hitting snow, creates mirage, the outside temp doesn't matter. A completely overcast day, and you can often get all the way up in the magnification range. I have shot 600yd matches where I had to turn my 32x NXS back to 18x just to filter out the majority of the mirage and get a clear image of the target.

I found some years ago, the IOR Valdada to be a tad better than the NXS, which was a tad better than the leupy. That was with my scopes, so YMMV.

as stated, you can always dial back, but you can't dial up if you don't have the magnification.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >And the same follows in astronomy

Magnification is about the least important thing in astronomy--light gathering is so much more critical.
    Would agree, a good variable would be best.