In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Dillon is down

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
Apparently last year when I put my Dillon away, I failed to refill my spare parts box. This evening I broke the priming punch-not an uncommon occurrence. Unfortunately, I seem to have used the last spare previously. Now I'll be waiting until replacements arrive. I hate it when this happens. No one to blame but myself.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda like forgetting to buy more beer[:(] When your done your done[;)]
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did you manage to do that???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got lucky. Son stopped at a Scheels on his way home and found a Dillon fix-it parts kit so I'm going to be back in production today.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You must mean the decapping pin that rides in the decapping/sizing die?
    You couldn't possibly have broken the primer cup, stem, or the little metal slide that gets primers from the drop tube.

Just want to be sure that Dillon's rep remains unsullied.
    If it were a Dillon part; one call would have a FREE one to you from Arizona, posthaste.

I use the RCBS dies with the replaceable decapping pin that sits in a collet; much easier to finish those last 30 rounds if that breaks, and you have to replace it with a finishing nail.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The priming ram will break. I managed to do just that while changing shell plates. It took me 15 years to do it, but I did. Dillon was quick to send two replacement parts.

quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    You must mean the decapping pin that rides in the decapping/sizing die?
    You couldn't possibly have broken the primer cup, stem, or the little metal slide that gets primers from the drop tube.

Just want to be sure that Dillon's rep remains unsullied.
    If it were a Dillon part; one call would have a FREE one to you from Arizona, posthaste.

I use the RCBS dies with the replaceable decapping pin that sits in a collet; much easier to finish those last 30 rounds if that breaks, and you have to replace it with a finishing nail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    iceracerx is correct--you CAN break a priming stem. In this case I had just dropped a new tube of primers in the magazine and I think one flipped on it's side. The slide hung up and when I jiggled the handle to shake it loose, the stem broke. You can also break them if a crimped primer case slips by or your detent or shelplate gets worn. My comment would be: "if you haven't broke one yet, you just haven't loaded enough ammo".

PS
    We're up and running again. Put new parts in and ran 50 rounds to check function.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    iceracerx is correct--you CAN break a priming stem. In this case I had just dropped a new tube of primers in the magazine and I think one flipped on it's side. The slide hung up and when I jiggled the handle to shake it loose, the stem broke. You can also break them if a crimped primer case slips by or your detent or shelplate gets worn. My comment would be: "if you haven't broke one yet, you just haven't loaded enough ammo".

PS
    We're up and running again. Put new parts in and ran 50 rounds to check function.

in red, above;
    In a totally unthinking manner, in which one disregards safety, common sense, and visual cues as to what may go wrong (or hit it with a ball-peen hammer if you don't like the way it works).
    I just got done loading 2600 rounds of LC/NATO .223 cases with crimped primer pockets, and didn't break anything.
    Guess I'm doing it wrong....
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

PS

in red, above;
    In a totally unthinking manner, in which one disregards safety, common sense, and visual cues as to what may go wrong (or hit it with a ball-peen hammer if you don't like the way it works).
    I just got done loading 2600 rounds of LC/NATO .223 cases with crimped primer pockets, and didn't break anything.
    Guess I'm doing it wrong....

I've loaded over 8k rounds of 223 on my dillon. Close to that amount again in .40. And probably that much again between 9mm,38spl, and 45acp combined. That's just for myself. Add in what friends have loaded on it and total count would be somewhere between 40-60,000 rounds so far. I've never broken a part on my primer assembly. That being said, sometimes crap happens. I've broken, bent, and lost many other parts along the way. Dillon just sends me new ones for free when I make the phone call. So does RCBS, Hornady, and several other manufacturers that I use and sometimes break. No big deal. Every part has the potential to break eventually. Just replace it and move on if and when it happens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Down again. This time the carbide insert popped out of the sizing die. I'm getting real close to auctioning this one and getting on the waiting list for something else.