In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

215/230 Berger hybrid

Nononsense, or Justc,
Have either of you tested these in the 300 ultra.... More interested in the 230, just wondering which powder you found to yeild the most velocity...........thinking retumbo may be too fast, have heard good things about Reloader 33, but dont have any, what about Us 869, I have that stuff....... Like to try vv n570 but thats about as easy to find as a pink unicorn. H50 bmg perhaps............. Just wondering if any body here has played with the 230 in a 300 ultra. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IdahoRedneck,

These two bullets get fairly deep seated before you can feed them from the magazine unless you jump up to a CIP length DBM. Performance is curtailed by this factor.

Both are excellent but I've stayed with the 215 rather than the 230 for the RUM. I'm running the 230 in the .300 Norma Mag.

Retumbo is good as is H-1000, VVN570 and Re-33. I've also shot some Norma MRP2 from what little I have left. The cooler powders will be your best bet in order to retain as much barrel life as possible. That indicated either H-1000 or Retumbo. You'll also want a 26" barrel or better, too.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not been playing with the 300ultra, even after having it throated for the 210 bergers last year. The reason being, the Berger pills are hit and miss, and mostly miss from what I am seeing. They dried up just like 22lr ammo after Sandy Hook[V] It is maddening to work up a load, find the sweet spot, then not be able to get any more pills for months at a time[:(!] hopefully they will start trickling back in soon
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I spoke with the folks at Berger all last week. They have added 3 new machines to speed up production. Some have already gotten in the pipeline while we're waiting for some of the others. 2014 should be a better year for supply.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that is good news indeed. I havn't even attempted to work a new load with the 300rum since I only have 1 box of the 210's and they are never on the shelf when I go to the local guy. He said he tries to order them every week for over a year, but no dice on the supply. when I find some, I am going to grab a handful of boxes.

thanks for that heads up.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, what's a .300 Norma Magnum? I've got a .308 Norma Magnum in a Schultz & Larsen but haven't heard of a .300 NM.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Guys yep berger has added 3 new machines and also has plans for 3 more this coming year, which will more than double there output. They had five so and additional six is a good thing this is according to Brian Litz at the shot show.

Nononsense, I have a wyatts extended mag box installed so I can strech her out a bit as well as a 26 in barrel, was just wondering which powder you found to yeild more velocity..........the 215 is awesome and actually beats the 230 at 1000 yards if all I can get out of the 230 is 27 2800 ish. The folks with souped up 300 wins are getting that with the 230 and longer barrels of course.

maybe my best bet is to stick with the 215. To bad they are gold right now, but the 210s have started to show up round here as will the 215s, just dont miss the boat I guess[:D]
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

The .300 Norma Magnum is the .338 Norma Magnum necked down to accept .308 diameter bullets with a couple of body changes. The .338 Norma Magnum was designed by Jimmy Sloan to use standard length long actions instead of the extra long action needed for the RUMs and .338 Lapua.

It is beltless (unlike the .308 Norma Mag which is belted) with the .588" rim and a capacity of approximately 105 to 107 grains of water. Case length is like an '06 or 2.495", loaded to 3.340 or 3.600" depending on the magazine.

The second rifle in my signature is chambered for the .338 Norma Magnum but I haven't photographed the .300 Norma yet. I'm still doing some significant testing with it. I did have a very good meeting with Jimmy Sloan at SHOT Show though. We spent quite a bit time going over the .300 Norma Magnum as well as some other topics.

I'll try for posting some pictures later but I'm on the run right now.

Best.
    edited November -1
    IdahoRedneck,

Actually, VVN-570 is the velocity champ if we keep the pressures the same for comparison sake. But bear in mind that VV will advance the throat faster. Of course in a hunting rifle that won't matter diddly and the VV would be my choice. The others are within nickles and dimes of being the same so any variations you find will be due to the barrels or lot number of powder. I'd opt for the Retumbo and give up a little velocity for long life and because I have 16 lbs...

In my opinion, the 215 is the best match for this type of case capacity but the 230 has it beat at 1,000 and over. I also like the 250 better than 300 for the .338 Lapua or Norma Mag.

Best.
    edited November -1
    10/4....... Ya wouldnt know where a guy could find any vv n570 would ya[:I]
    edited November -1
    IdahoRedneck,

Not currently but if I run across some I'll pass it on.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Thankyou sir.[:p]