In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9.3x62 ammo

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
I posted earlier that I just bought a CZ550 on the auction side. I like to shoot a box of factory ammo in new to me guns to check on velocity, etc. So I asked my local dealer to try to find me a box. I stopped in the other day to see how he made out and he handed me a box of Remington! I knew Remington made 8x57, 7x57, 6.5x55 in metrics but 9.3x62? I would think that 7.62x54R and 7.65x53 would be more common, yet I don't believe they load those.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

This goes back a few years but there was an incredible boom in the two 9.3mm cartridges; 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64. There was a frenzy of activity regarding these cartridges and the rifles for them. The Swedish Mausers (commercial) were available at very reasonable prices in the 9.3x62 version. Then the custom shops got up to speed by making barrels available in this caliber.

The folks at Remington saw the boom and wanted in on the action. Now you see the result.

The 9.3x62 is by far the most common since it approximates the '06 case size which makes it the easy choice for the standard long action rifles. The 9.3x64 is a larger case with a 0.496" rim and a 0.508" head so standard rifle actions need some adjusting. It does fit in the standard long action though.

I have friends that have hunted Africa very effectively with both cartridges.

Best.