In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the 25/06

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
Back in the 80's I reloaded everything I shot so I am not really a beginner. I am now getting back into reloading and have lost or misplaced a couple of my old books and I can not find my old recipe for my Win. model 70 25/06. All the manuals I have looked at state that 53gr-55gr of H4831 is max when using a 117-120gr bullet so I am currently using the new Hornady manual. I am loading nearly all Rem. cases ( a few Win ), 117 gr. Hornady interlock, and Nosler 120 gr. partition bullets. I am also using Federal 210M primers. I remember that when I used to load for this rifle, I used a compressed load with these same components. I put a lot of rounds through that 25/06 with never a mishap so I can't be totally crazy. It shot very flat out to 500 yds. Has anyone ever loaded this round without problems? I don't know if the powder has changed or why the manuals list a max of 55.0 gr. I haven't tried it but I believe you would have to load around 60gr. of H4831 before it starts compressing.
All responses appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon lists 52.00 grain of H4831 as max for 117 grain Hornady spitzer boat tail.

Hodgdon lists 51.5 grains of H4831 as max for 120 grain Swift spitzer

These loads are with Remington brass and Remington 9.5 primers.
    Nothing is listed about compressed loads. I took these from the 2014 Hodgdon annual reloading magazine.

My personal load is 52 grain of IMR4831, 115 grain Nosler BT with either a CCI BR2 or WLR.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot 5 gallon buckets of pulled bullets in an 30-06 with H4831 and never weighed a charge, just scoop them full and seat the bullet. That was using true surplus powder that was bought in a paper lunch sack for $2/# at the grocery/sporting goods store. Maybe the new stuff the is different, I know that BlueDot changed from Hercules to Alliant.

I like full cases or lightly compressed loads also. I doubt that the few extra grains do anything except blow out the end of the barrel Test your load over a blanket of fresh snow. Strain gauge pressure (PSI)measurement catch the spike that copper crusher measurement (CUP) miss, so maybe it's better to back off the 5 grains and get almost 2 free rounds per box.

I would look at a ball powder like H1000. Better barrel life, higher velocity and lower pressure.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have shot 5 gallon buckets of pulled bullets in an 30-06 with H4831 and never weighed a charge, just scoop them full and seat the bullet. That was using true surplus powder that was bought in a paper lunch sack for $2/# at the grocery/sporting goods store. Maybe the new stuff the is different, I know that BlueDot changed from Hercules to Alliant.

I like full cases or lightly compressed loads also. I doubt that the few extra grains do anything except blow out the end of the barrel Test your load over a blanket of fresh snow. Strain gauge pressure (PSI)measurement catch the spike that copper crusher measurement (CUP) miss, so maybe it's better to back off the 5 grains and get almost 2 free rounds per box.

I would look at a ball powder like H1000. Better barrel life, higher velocity and lower pressure.

H1000 is an excellent choice for the 25-06. However, it is not a ball powder it is an extruded "Extreme" powder. In the 25-06, I have found it works best to run a ladder to see where your loads perform as far as pressure and accuracy. I use a magnum primer behind H1000 often. You don't need to, that's just how I worked up some of my better loads in it.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    One of the reasons that newer manuals list max loads that are smaller than their previous editions is that the methods of measuring pressure have shown the actual peak pressure and its duration whereas the older methods just measured the effect on a copper plug, from which the pressure was interpreted. With the newer methods it became apparent that the older methods could easily understate the pressure. Add to that the fear of litigation and you have editors that only print "safe" maximum loads.
  • Options
    Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen. I think I will start around the max recommended load and slowly work up to where I want to be with this load. I know that is standard procedure. I was just curious if the load I want and have used before was really that dangerous with todays powders.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better to start mid-range. Sometimes in the book with newer powders, Max Loads ARE MAX LOADS!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes H1000 is now extruded, the HYBRID 100V is spherical.