In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trouble with universal charge bar! Update

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I bought a Universal Charge Bar for my Sizemaster. I have tried 7 ways to Sunday to get the shot side to drop w/o getting stuck!!! I tried all 3 inserts they sold with the bar & they all stick.

I emailed their customer service & their "tec" told me to tap the frame where the bottle screws in with something metal & the shot would drop allowing the bar to move back.

I did this and if works part of the time. I'm not going to do this every time I slide the bar back right!! I can get it to slide nearly all the time if I slam the bar real fast before the shot can catch. I'm slamming it hard enough I'm afraid I will break the bottles.(broke one after I got pissy[:I])

Anyone know of any alterations or tips to get the bar to slide back & forth freely?

I put a .100"<45? chamfer on the leading edge of the shot cavity. Then I took the brass washer off the powder side & put it on the bar (under the bottle) and now it works w/o getting jammed 95% of the time. BUT...when it does get jammed all I have to do is pull the bar back just a little then it will slide over freely. I was getting ready to give up, but now I'm off & loading again.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the problem is the adjuster bar in the shot column. Shot bridges easy compared to powder. I run all bushing in my pacific because I have seen issues with the universal adjustable bars,
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I have tried 3 brands over the years and all have had the same issue. I finally went with the bushings.

On the adjustable bars I always had to tap or jiggle them for the shot.

I will follow the post and maybe someone has a great method and we both can learn something.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What gauge are you loading? The smaller gauges have more of a problem because of the small amount of shot, thus smaller opening. Also the size of shot you are using makes a differance. Check to see if the charge bar is moving the correct distance for all the drop passages to line up. Had that problem on one of mine. On my 410 loader I had to slightly round or smoothe up the edges on the shot bar & it helped a great deal.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm loading 12ga on this Mec.

I draw filed the zinc shot insert while in the bar with a fine single cut file. The surfaces are polish like.

I'm thinking of chamfering the leading edge of the insert where the two surfaces will bypass each other. I hope this will make a ramp for the caught shot to move up back into the bottle stem.

The second idea I'm thinking of is rounding the V inside the shot cavity with a end mill to make it round like the MEC bars.

If that doesn't work my next step I'm considering will be changing the insert cavity size on the bar. The universal bar cavity for the shot insert is smaller & V shaped.(~.375) Mec's insert size is (~.4375) and I think this allows for more leeway for the shot to bypass the bar. I'm going to make the cavity identical to the MEC bar so I can use the soft rubber cushion that MEC uses.

The only reason I bought this uni bar was I am starting to vary from my normal 1-1/8oz or 1-1/4oz loads. I'm loading 7/8oz, 1oz, 1-3/8oz, & 1-1/2oz all with #6's. I don't have bars for these & they cost $15/each. I'm going to try some good ol' #7.5's to see if the shot drops better.

Anyone think some of these are hair brained enough to work?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it could work. I like the rubber collar concept. I have an old school adjustable shot dipper for big shot Like #2's in my Hornady presses. I bought like 12 bushing to cover 7/8 on up.
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is a bit old, but what the heck. I have a sizemaster and tried using the same set up, and like you, never had these problems with the bushing type bar. What I've found with mine, is that the charge bar will really get packed as you work the handle. Be gentle seating the wad and it really makes a difference when dropping the shot.

But to heck with dropping the shot. I don't use this bar for loading because it also likes to pack the powder in. Depending how rough I work the handle, it can drop a full 2 grains more than I set it at. I really hope that you will open up a couple of shells you loaded and verify the powder charge.