In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead Dust

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
I got to the bottom of a pile of lead shot that has been sitting on the bottom of the pile for probably years. It is oxidized or dusty. Any way to clean it up or reduce the dusting when reloading? The shot isnt smooth any more but for $40 a bag Im going to shoot it up.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powdered graphite..... roll it around in a 5 gallon bucket to evenly coat the shot.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Powdered graphite..... roll it around in a 5 gallon bucket to evenly coat the shot.

Will the graphite stick well, even without removing/minimizing the surface oxidation first?
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd wash it. Put several pounds in a bucket, add water, stir and agitate, and the dust should mix with the water. Strain out the shot. Repeat until the water comes out clean.

Be careful if you live in CA. It's probably against the law to handle the shot or pour the dirty water down the drain. Also, right now, it's probably against the law in CA to use water for anything except drinking.

JMHO

Ray
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reclaimed shot from most of a case of paper hull that had been in a flooded basement.

Give it a 15 minute or so run in a vibratory tumbler, no media or abrasive. Dump out on a screen and rinse with water. Once it's dry, back into the dry tumbler bowl with a bit of graphite or Mica Wad Slick. I used Mica Wad Slick, simply because I had it, but hardware store powdered graphite will work.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better be careful there lads. When lead oxidizes, the salts formed are highly toxic. (and they are soluble in water) Breathing any of that stuff isn't going to do your body any favors. At least wear a dust mask. (without the hole for the cigaret!)
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Be careful if you live in CA. It's probably against the law
    JMHO

Ray

From what I've read, they've made just about everything against the law in California- that is, unless you came across the border illegally, in that case you can do what ever you want.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Will the graphite stick well, even without removing/minimizing the surface oxidation first?

Not sure but I'd give a coffee cup full a try before expending any other labor trying to salvage it. [:)] If that don't work then washing it sure will, then graphite it to make it flow smoothly in the hopper.