In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wax bullets

Anybody ever shoot primer powered wax or plastic or rubber bullets?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some Speer 38 and 44 plastic bullets and cases. I have also made wax bullets.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the Speer plastic .38's that use a plastic case and large pistol primers and found them quite useful for training. I have also used the "X-Ring" rubber bullets. These use the standard brass case and the primer flash hole needs to be enlarged to prevent primer set-back. They are available in .38, .44 and .45.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Saw a show on TV over 50 years ago on how they did special effects for western tv like Gunsmoke ETC all I had was a 22 revolver. On the show that shot a mirror behind a Bar with wax bullet Looked like it broke the mirror but the wax could be wiped off . I thought it would be a great TRICK to shoot the TV with wax bullet on opening scene so I carefully pulled bullets on six 22 LR and used a bar of my mothers Paraffin used for sealing Jam Jars and let the case full of power act as a cookie cutter. I thought I should test one first I shot it at a Knot in a Knotted Pine door Damn blew the Knot completely out the back side of the door. Damn glad I did the test and did not shoot the TV . I would have been grounded for Years. Be Careful with both Rubber and wax bullets at close range [:0][:p][;)]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    That is a funny story. A neighbor taught me how to make wax bullets when I was a kid. Used to shoot them in the garage.
    I have a bunch of plastic training bullets in 45 cal. listed on the auction side. Got them with a bunch of stuff from a guy who owned a sporting goods store.
    W.D.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392955477
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the Speer, plastic, .38s to be not toys but my wax attempts weren't good, at all.
  • Options
    DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came up with about 50 38 special wax loaded rounds in a box of stuff that came from an uncle. They are fun to shoot in the house although I would not consider them "toys". I will need to make more of them someday.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Speer plastic bullets in .38 and .44 for years and find them to be great for training. I just wish they were a bit cheaper. I tried wax bullets a few years ago and did not like them at all.
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read years ago how Bill Jordan used to press primed cases into blocks of parifin wax for his indoor shows. I tried it, and shot a Ruger Security Six in the house through a target covering a cardboard box. The box would stop the wax bullets. Worked fine.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can still buy ready made wax bullets used in fast draw,and the specially reamed cases that accept 209 primers.I have hundreds of them from my brother's fast draw career back in the day.and a couple dozen cases.They are not toys,trust me.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I want to try the 308 short range plastic ammo from sports man guide. It says it's accurate out to 320yds. I'm not sure about that claim. A 11gr plastic bullet with a MV at 4400fps ME 472 ft-lbs. Be interesting to try anyway. Imagine the looks you would get when you go to load a blue bullet at the range.[:)]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    I want to try the 308 short range plastic ammo from sports man guide. It says it's accurate out to 320yds. I'm not sure about that claim. A 11gr plastic bullet with a MV at 4400fps ME 472 ft-lbs. Be interesting to try anyway. Imagine the looks you would get when you go to load a blue bullet at the range.[:)]

4" groups at 100 yards is what I got from a sub-moa rifle. ANY wind
    sends the bullets all over the place.[:(]
    Keep in mind, the base of those blue cases are smaller than a normal
    .308/7.62 nato round. Have a cleaning rod handy to push out stuck cases
    in some guns with small extractor claws.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I was a little kid with my dad. We took 50 38spl cases and drilled out the primer pockets with an 1/8" drill bit so that the primers would not back out and added more power. we would shoot them in the winter. we did switch to rubber bullets which were a lot cleaner and faster to use.