In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Reloader

MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
I am new to reloading and recently read something that said a person should not reload when it is raining outside due to the humidity difference. My place where i relaod is in the house where temperature is pretty much constant so should i worry if its raining outside or not?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So for Christmas I received the Rock Chucker Supreme kit and cannnot wait to get reloading! However, before I press round one I am going to become good friends w the reloaders manual (Speer manual).I understand the process and know it is a matter of taking your time and being consistent to work up a load for a gun.

In the meantime I would like to get my brass cleaned up so when I am ready I have that part ready to roll.

My question on cleaning with a vibratory tumbler is what media to use and how long on a batch do you let it go? I have ordered a Cabelas branded tumbler that is on the way as I type!
    Thanks in advance to the great people of GB!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just won an auction for the Hornady Lock and Load kit on the auction side. I've been kicking the idea around for a couple years and finally decided to get started.

I read Bposts sticky so I'm probably going to order the abc's of reloading book tonight.

With the kit I have is there anything else (tool wise) that I will need to get started? I know I need dies and the components. I'm not sure what caliber I will start with. Is it better to start with pistol or rifle? I'm thinking maybe .357 or 44 mag. I have revolvers and rifles in both calibers.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like advice on buying a starter kit to get back into reloading. I use to reload some years ago, just mainly pistol ammo with a Lee press. Would like to get back into it and do some pistol and rifle rounds.[:)]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee Modern Reloading guide is top notch, I highly recommend it.

For other accessories, get the excellent Redding/Imperial die sizing wax. Hornady's Unique lube is also well worth the cost (both are quite affordable) and indispensable for resizing tough cases.

Start with pistol. Get carbide die sets. More expensive but very durable and don't require any lube though just a hair of the above mentioned lubes on the cases will make the process that much easier.

Get a tumbler and media and a polish/recharger compound like Dillon's rapid polish or the Frankford Arsenal stuff. Clean cases resize and function much better than ones covered in soot, dust, and corrosion.

For rifles, if you have bolt actions, get neck sizers. The Lee brand is great, low price, and very effective. For semi autos, lever actions, pump actions, full length resizing is necessary.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to everything n-e said. I would add a hammer-shaped kinetic bullet puller. They are not expensive, and are a very useful tool for life's little mistakes.

Both .357 and .44 are about the easiest rounds to handload. Either one is a good place to start. Definitely get a set of carbide pistol dies rather than the cheaper steel dies. The carbide dies are well worth the little extra money.

Welcome to the dark side [:D] . Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Appreciate the info. I decided to start with .357. Do any of you reload .357? What powder do you use? I'm thinking unique.

Probably start with some inexpensive bullets. Bullet puller is prob good idea. Thanks for the tip. What size primers do I need?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your loading block is your friend for single stage operations. A second book or at least an online check of data for new to you loads is good.

Belling cases for lead bullets should be just enough to avoid cutting/shaving the bullets. Crimp for wheel gun loads must be enough to hold bullets in place.

Ball type powders meter well compared to big stick one.

Case length can be critical for some dies.

Keep a note book or at least filled out data card with your ammo.

Try a few rounds of you ammo for fit and or function before you load a bunch.

Once I find the load the gun likes, I stock up on those components. Enough powder and primers to load the bullets. For rifles I like to buy 200 rounds of brass, for pistols 500 or a 1000 at a time.

Way easier to ask questions if you are unsure of anything than to heal and pick up the pieces of a catastrophe.

If you do your part the best ammo in the world for your firearm will be the stuff you customed loaded just for it.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Appreciate the info. I decided to start with .357. Do any of you reload .357? What powder do you use? I'm thinking unique.

Probably start with some inexpensive bullets. Bullet puller is prob good idea. Thanks for the tip. What size primers do I need?

Yes, the bullet puller is one thing I forgot.

Primers: small pistol for most purposes, small pistol magnum for the hottest of loads, though the regular primers will work almost just as well for even the hot loads

Powder: Unique is a great choice; wide range of applications, excellent power to weight ratio, will push bullets to within 90% of the velocity of the magnum powders with far less. For true magnum applications, Hodgdon or IMR 4227, H110/Winchester 296, and the like are the order of the day.

FWIW, I find it very unnecessary to really push the envelope with magnum speeds and pressures. Moderate loads, even to the level of 38 special in the 357 or 44 special in the 44 mag are nice to shoot, very economical, and easier on your guns. Also, if you didn't know, you can shoot 38 special brass in your 357 and 44 special brass in your 44 magnum if you have any of those on hand.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might like to check into using cast bullets. Usually readily available on the auction side and at gun shows. Good for practice and plinking. Save on the cost and then buy jacketed bullets if you want to hunt or for defense.

Sounds like you could be into Cowboy Action Shooting. I'm not. They may require cast bullets at low velocities.

Welcome to the fraternity.

Jim
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MrGunz22,

It's always good to welcome another reloader.

I suggest that you try to locate powder and primers first before spending a lot on anything else. The lack of selection of powder and primers will dictate which cartridges you can start loading.

Best.

Alliant Universal can be used in place of Unique although it is not a direct substitute. I can't find any Universal either but it gives you two choices instead of just the one.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all the replies. Lots of good info. I ordered some dies for 38/357 last night and the Lyman inertia bullet puller. Nononsense....I've only checked a few places but can't find any Unique powder. There are a couple on the auction side. I will see how those play out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do RCBS dies fit in the Hornady press?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Newer dies are 7/8-14 thread and fit all of the newer presses. In the "olden" days there were other die threads but, while some are still around on the used or antique market, they are gone. The same is true of shell holders: Every press manufacturer had their own but now they are universal in that RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc. presses will accept each others shell holders.

Be careful--have fun!

EDIT: It occurred to me that I should define "newer". I started reloading in the late 1950's and all dies even then were 7/8-14 thread except some Lymans for their tong tool and their tru-line jr. press. My first press was a Herter's and their shell holders were peculiar to their presses. Incidently, RCBS dies were $13.50 back then while Herters, Krupp/American, or Wells dies were less than half that. Herters got a lot of us old guys started in reloading.
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only been re-loading for about 3 years now and only load for range use. And one question I would ask is the barrel lengths of the 38/357 and 44?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    I have only been re-loading for about 3 years now and only load for range use. And one question I would ask is the barrel lengths of the 38/357 and 44?

A few different lengths. I just figured 38/357 was a good place to start. I have a bunch. I will load some for target practice first but I do deer hunt with the 357 and 44mag (44 in a Ruger 96/44 rifle)

Smith 642 38sp. in 1 7/8"
    Smith 10-8 38sp. in 4"
    Ruger GP100 .357 in 4" and 6"
    Ruger Redhawk 44mag in 5 3/4"

Marlin 1894 in 357 18.5"
    Ruger 96/44 in 44mag. 18.5"
    NEF Handi Rifles in both 357 and 44mag 20" ( i think)
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't comment on the rifle loads.
    I only ask because I have noted significant variations with UNIQUE because of barrel length. In 38 I have a Blackhawk in 6.5" a Rossi 972 in 6" and a Taurus 85 with a 2" barrel.

When I loaded UNIQUE at 5g and a 158 SWC (I use cast) I measured FPS as:
    Blackhawk at 922 FPS
    Rossi at 909 FPS
    Taurus 85 at 557 FPS

I had similar results in 45C. My SA 1873 with 8.4g of Unique was 841 FPS and a Taurus PD with 9g was 578 FPS. So I tried a faster powder, Bullseye and 6.7g got 754 FPS from the PD. These were using 200g lead RNFP.

In 44 MAG I like 2400. It's a slower powder but has excellent visual effects.[:D]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are well on your way, I load both .38 spl - 357 and .44 spl - .44 mag with Unique, and have been doing so for years. I prefer cast lead bullets from 125 to 158 gr in .358 diameter and 180-240 gr in .430. When I can get a deal I will load plated Berrys bullets, or even a jacketed load or two on a rare chance I get a deal on bullets. I don't hot rod my loads, so I keep all my loads under published maximums.

The bullet puller is a must, you will wrinkle a case or two or somehow mess up once in a while and you will need to pull the bullet.

My only other recommendation is a digital scale, and if your kit doesn't have one, a dial caliper. I got a Frankfort Arsenal scale, and I have found it invaluable for checking powder dispenser accuracy and bullet weight consistency. ( once I even used it to separate a grab bag of mixed bullets I bought into their proper weights. I then used the calipers to determine caliber) The calipers are naturally used to check the overall length (OAL) of your loads.

Good luck!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Partial boxes of bullets off gun show tables can be an excellent buy. If you get into bullet casting it will open several more variables to play in your search for optimum accuracy and performance. I prefer steel molds. Almost all my loads are plain base/barefoot. I'm not fond of Unique in a 44 mag, but in todays world you use what you can get and have data for.

I like my Lyman flash hole de-burring tool. The Forster case trimmer has served me well for many years. Their collet bullet is an excellent design also. I like case champhering tools that have a pin in the center of the outside flukes, saves finger poking.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    " get the excellent Redding/Imperial die sizing wax. "
    Big +1 on this. I wasted time in the beginning with spray lubes and stuck cases. Not a single stuck since changing to this wax.
    I use H110 powder for 44mag and 50 AE...really like it
    Also, if loading for an AR15 or AR10 in the future, RCBS small base dies made a world of difference for me.