In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blemished Bullets?

Anyone buy/use blemished bullets? From what I can tell they are just scuffed up. Wish I lived closer to Sierra's factory outlet in Missouri.[}:)][;)]

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Got some 62gr 223 that shoot very good.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably shoot 75% blems. Hornandy and Nosler are the two that I have experience with. The only thing that I can find blemed in the finish sometimes. With the Nosler it states that they are blem in finish only. The Hornandy ones make no claim, but I can't find anything to * about.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a heck of a lot of Speer seconds. Great price by the pound in paper sacks. For a while when I walked in the door they would start bagging up the calibers I shot.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Where do ya'll find yours at online? I've only found 2 that will ship them.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D

Good question...
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've killed quite a few deer using Speer, Hornady, or Nosler blems. Have buckets full awaiting use.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

Good question...

Shooters Pro Shop = Nosler.....google it. I shoot a lot of them in .257 and 6.5mm
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Slightly different take on this question but thought it might be of interest to pistol shooters. I have done 40 + years of Ransom Rest testing on Pistol ammo. I have modified bullets on purpose to test When casting bullets I would cull defective ones. Then got idea to test them also For the most part The base was the only part that would cause wide range of increasing the group size . I then started drilling holes in the side, nose etc . The next experiment Was to pick up Bullets that had been shot but were laying in the grass down range at Camp Perry
    Most of these were 230 grain Jacketed Ball bullets but others were Jacketed Wad Cutter bullets.I would tumble them to clean and then load them the same way as my Match Loads WE called them RESHOOTEMS They worked great and group size was not all that bad Chronograph results were also good to very Good.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Great place to find Nosler seconds. Look at the price of the Dillon's while you're there, pretty good!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

Good question...

Shooters Pro Shop = Nosler.....google it. I shoot a lot of them in .257 and 6.5mm

That was 1 of the 2 I already found.[;)][:p] The other is Midway, but there out atm.
    edited November -1
    I looked at Powder Valley & they do as well under "Specials" but they don't have a whole lot.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    When I worked in SE Washington I would frequent the Speer facility in Lewiston and generally purchase the "seconds" bullets and "used" brass. My in-laws used to live in Medford,OR so we would pass through Bend enroute. We would stop in at the Nosler store and pick through what was available in the various seconds and over-runs. For my use (big game hunting and proficiency shooting) I could never tell the difference between seconds and "firsts", except the price.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot tons of "Blems/seconds". The only seconds I have shot that were horrific were Hornady's. Their cost on regular bullets well justifies me buying them instead of other companies "special high priced" bullets. A-max and V-max's shoot awesome as do the OTM's they produce. All the regular hunting bullets I buy from them have been outstanding for accuracy.

Sometimes it's funny to think about why they are blems or seconds. I have some Accubonds that have a cannelure, and some Ballistic tips with white poly tips and Accubonds with red or grey tips. With Sierra it has been mostly cannelures when there should not be. Or, vice versa. Nobody has yet to install the wrong tip on a second from Sierra that I have gotten hold of.