In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 Cast Bullets And International Clays

Looking for a load. 180 grain cast bullets. I have a full can of International Clays that would be really nice to use!! I don't need or want max velocities, just an accurate target load. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have an old Lyman Cast bullet loading manual. It has several loads for 180 gr 30-06 loads, unfortunately the manual is older than the powder. I can photo the loads page so you can get an idea of what the various loads are, but any estimating what an International Clay load would be is strictly your responsibility.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the manufacturer doesn't have any load data for a specific cartridge, you're on your own. Hogdon has nothing for the 30-06 using International Clays: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle for any bullet weight.

Clays has the 10th fastest burn rate of 145 powders listed: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

IMHO Clays shouldn't be used in rifle cartridges.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have to agree, Clays is way too fast for a necked rifle case like an 06.
    I load cast gas check bullets in booth my 30-40 Krag using IMR 4198, and my Winchester 95 30-06 using H4895.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    According to Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1973) suitable loads for 30-06 with various cast bullets and fast burning powder are shown in the photos below:

DSC_0166_zpse22dbbb6.jpg

DSC_0167_zps8151c3ea.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been a lot of cast bullets shot with pistol and shotgun powders IF YOU ARE AGREEABLE TO PISTOL VELOCITY.

Ed Harris developed The Load of 13 grains of Red Dot for .30-06 and other full power military and sporting cartridges. I approximate it with 12.5 grains of 700X. I would not mind working with Clays.

Unfortunately the OP has INTERNATIONAL Clays, which is not the same stuff. (Take note of that victorj19 and CaptainMidnight.) I do not think there is any rifle or pistol data for INTERNATIONAL Clays, although there is for "plain" Clays and Universal Clays. They seem not to want International Clays used in any rifled barrel.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You want to head over to the cast boolit forum and ask this. Someone there will surely have done it.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I took the advice here and loaded with 25.0 gr of IMR-4895. (4) consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 yards were each in the 1.25" range. Not bad!

Next I will try a load ladder in 2 grain increments to look for a velocity "sweet spot".

Thanks everybody!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25gr of H4895 on top of Lyman 323470 in an 8mm-06 was one of my favorite loads.