In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rockchucker question???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Can anyone recall how much overhang the rockchucker press requires? Is it less than 1". Thanks.

T67

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is as close to the edge of my bench as I can get it. It protrudes 1 1/2" to the front of the frame casting and about another inch to the outer radius of the lower pivot knuckle.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCII base hangs over about 1.5" on my bench
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry guys, guess that I wasn't clear on my question. I was wondering how much clearance the press requires behind it for the lever to function. If it is placed on a 90 degree bench with no lip the bottom link will hit. I'm getting ready to make a new bench and haven't dug my press out yet.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    There is no need to undercut the bench. The Rockchucker has a corner that slides up against the edge of the bench and no portion of the ram or handle goes further in that that edge.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just built a new bench that has 1" oak board on top and 2x4 frame. I had to notch the bottom of the 2X4 frame about an inch to enable the ram to raise fully on the upstroke. I have an RCII.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wolfpack
    Just built a new bench that has 1" oak board on top and 2x4 frame. I had to notch the bottom of the 2X4 frame about an inch to enable the ram to raise fully on the upstroke. I have an RCII.

If your top is flush with the sides then you have the same problem that I do. The top needs to sick out so far, like a counter top, and that's the distance I'm trying to figure out. As mentioned before I'm going to build a new top and don't have a press handy to measure it.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the contractor build in the bench in my new shop and he made it with the 1.5" top flush with the 2x4 rail. I had to notch out the rail for the toggle on my Dillon 550 to swing.
    I mounted the Rockchucker on a board bolted down with a little overhang.
    The overhang is 1.25" and the nut on the end of the handle at the toggle just clears. A 1 1/8" overhang would be the minimum for my 1971 Rockchucker.
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I notched the 2x4 for both of my RCs. Works fine.