In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder mixing of shotgun w/imr 4350?

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
What is the word on powder mixing? How wrong is it to mix up shotgun powder with high power rifle powder like imr4350?

Comments

• Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a trick question, right??
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot a heck of a lot of duplex loads. They were all compressed charges with no chance for mixing. If you are mixing the powders together you are asking for trouble and a trip to the doc if you live.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never "mix" powders!

The seldom-used so-called 'duplex' loads of smokeless powders (for advanced experimenters ONLY) involve one powder on top of another, compressed by their own volume or a filler.

More common is use of a small amount of smokeless under a charge of black powder to reduce fouling.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback. Not a job for novices.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't they use duplex loads to help eliminate hang fires in the big, big African dangerous game rifles?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original 454 Casull loads were triplex. The purpose is usually to provide for cleaner burning.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Don't they use duplex loads to help eliminate hang fires in the big, big African dangerous game rifles?

There is a difference between a duplex load and mixed powders. 155mm artillery powder charges are basically a duplex load: There is a primer about the size of a 2 1/2" 410 shotshell. Next is the "ignition packet" which has about a half cup of very fast burning powder, the remainder of the charge is smokeless powder that looks like 4350 on steroids; kernals are about .3" diameter, 1" length. So the primer ignites the packet which then blows into the various charge amounts of regular powder. This in smaller scale is the same deal as the large bore rifle cartridges that have a primer, then a small amount of fast powder, which is held in place by a 100% density slow powder.

Mixing the two powders would change the burn rate to some entirely different curve and if you were going to experiment with it make sure your health insurance is active and you might want to schedule an appointment with the doctor so you won't have to wait in the emergency room.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "How wrong is it to mix up shotgun powder with high power rifle powder like imr4350?"
    AS WRONG AS ANYTHING COULD POSSIBLY BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't do it. The gain cannot possibly be worth the risk involved.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first question is WHY? Is there a result being sought? What is the idea behind the question?
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I believe that some European proof houses concocted duplex and triplex loads that would maintain an internal barrel pressure that was equal to the maximum breech pressure, all he way down the bore. And probably produced a muzzle blast that ruptured every can of beer in the County. I don't know what barrel-wall thicknesses they were working with, but I don't think they were standard.