In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Dies

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
I can't seem to find an acceptable three die set for a 44 mag. There is a set of new LEE dies on the auction side, but I have never used this brand. Anyone have any comments on the Lee Dies??? THX

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They work well
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using Lee dies for over 30 years, actually started with Lee Loaders years ago and I've never worn one out. Lots of heavier calibers, too, .44 Mag, .41 Mag and .50 S&W Mag; have had fewer issues with the Lee dies than with RCBS.
    I typically use a single stage press, have several that I use in conjunction with each other.
    Typically, Lee is less costly and, although I've never used it, I hear their customer service is excellent.
    Don't let the NaySayers lead you astray when you hear how they can't be good 'cause they're cheaper!
    Dan R
  • riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's where I go first these days. Never had a problem; got them in 357 Mag, 380 ACP, 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 7.62 x 54R, 30-06, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 223, and 303 British. All work as advertised, all produce good accurate ammunition. All come with a shell holder! Very hard to beat in my opinion.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have really old Lee carbide 3 dies sets in 38, 44 and 45. The 44 mag crimp die was really sensitive to case length, so I ran a tapered reamer in it soften the square edge. Works way better now. I turn the O-ring locking nut up side down because they really torque themselves down on the press. Excellent value for the money.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several sets and use them regularly but don't have them in .44 magnum. Lee has some clever innovations like the factory crimp die and collet type neck sizing die. IIRC, their .44 crimp die has a carbide collar in it that insures the crimp dia. of your cartridge will not be too large for your chamber.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure one of the dies in the set, is there "Factory Crimp Die". If it isn't included in the set. You can just call up Lee and order one.

Excellent die if a good heavy crimp is required. When using slow burning powder. Or loading for a lever action rifle.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are getting dies for the 44 Magnum, make sure you get the set with the carbide sizing die, or in Hornady's case, Titanium-Nitride.

While other's like the Lee's, and they work well I do prefer RCBS, and in some cases Hornady. The Lee "factory crimp" die, and their taper crimp dies work well for auto-pistol rounds, that headspace on the case mouth. The taper/factory crimp has no bearing on the 44 Magnum, as most of the time a good heavy roll crimp is what you need to get good ignition from the hot powders like W296, and H110 for the magnum loads. For low level lead rounds, a moderate roll crimp works the best...in my experience.

Best
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've been using RCBS dies for years.
    I couldn't locate a die (RCBS) and went to Lee.
    Any handgun die I buy now I make an effort to buy Lee.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Be sure one of the dies in the set, is there "Factory Crimp Die". If it isn't included in the set. You can just call up Lee and order one.

Excellent die if a good heavy crimp is required. When using slow burning powder. Or loading for a lever action rifle.

I have a set of .454 Casull dies. I would like to be able to load .45 LC. If I bought a .45 LC Factory crimp die would that do the job?
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used them for almost every cartridge. For neck sizing bottle neck rifle cartridges, their collet die works great along with their drop dead fall bullet seater. For pistol cartridges, they work fine too especially the Lee carbide roll crimp die for pistol cartridges because the bullet stays in place no matter how heavy the load and the resulting recoil force especially for the 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, and 9mm. The only problems I have found with Lee dies, is that I usually have to inspect the dies, even new ones, and polish the bullet conical seater cap, the collet die's mandrels, the parabolic neck sizer deprimer rod, and sometimes remove some burrs, etc.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

I have a set of .454 Casull dies. I would like to be able to load .45 LC. If I bought a .45 LC Factory crimp die would that do the job?

The Casull brass is longer than the 45 LC. I don't know if their is enough vertical adjustment in the seater and FC dies. So that it would work? I've had problems with the Lee dies in the past regarding this. I had to use very thin locking rings, not the Lee locking rings. Call the customer service folks at Lee. See what they say.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I bought a carbide set in .44 Russian, to use in loading .44 Colt. They may work for .44 Sp and .44 Mag as well. Lee's sell for a fraction of the cost of some others, which are only as good. BTW, I also use Lee dies for 7.62x25, x39, x54, and .38-40.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well let's ask this- when you say you can't find an acceptable 3 die set, what are you looking for?
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled: Your .454 dies will size your .45 cases OK. So why not try your dies to see if you can adjust them to bell your .45 case mouths and seat your bullets to the length you want? If you can, then a .45 Colt factory crimp die will set you up just fine. If not---not.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee dies are the only ones I ever use. They have perfect for me for years now, in .30-06, .280, .223, .45, 9mm, and .380. Rock on!