In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions please 22lr distance

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
I'm thinking of running a fun match for 22lr rifles at the club I belong to. I want to use NRA tq4 targets at 100 yards (3 strings, one standing, 1 kneeling, and 1 prone). A couple members are complaining about the distance. Am I asking too much?
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. In my opinion 100 yards is just when the 22lr gets interesting and fun. It's a competition and should be challenging.

I read an article by Kyle Lamb and he uses something like this to evaluate field accuracy. I can't see why you could not use a 22lr in place of a centerfire.

10 shots 100 yards prone
    10 shots 75 yards sitting
    10 shots 50 yards kneeling
    10 shots 25 yards standing
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I like ROB OZ course of fire this Puts the test toward the rifle itself
    over the shooter at longest distance and test of the Shooter at the shortest distance you could allow standing at any distance.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree, that is a good course of fire.
    Our club does what we call the Rim Fire Classic.
    10 rounds, scoped rifle off bags 50yards
    10 rounds, scoped rifle off hand 50yards
    10 rounds, iron sight rifle, off bags 50yards
    10 rounds, iron sight rifle, off hand 50yards
    10 rounds, iron sight pistol, 25yards
    10 rounds, open pistol, 25yards
    600 possible
    We have this match every spring and fall, sort of start and end the season with this event.
    W.D.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    .22 LR at 200 yards use to be a common competition. This really separates the marksmen from the trigger pullers.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you could hold a few shoots at closer ranges, then a few at intermediate followed by a few at long range. I think its a lot easier to teach new shooters at shorter ranges. Getting them on paper quickly helps with self esteem, no holes in the target is demoralizing. A sub MOA group up close can translate to a sub MOA at distance.

Dad had all us kids shoot all 4 positions. I have always favored offhand because that is how I hunt. In the Army standing foxhole was my favorite
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As my mom was a small bore NRA instructor in the late 40's early 1950's
    To qualify for a match at 50 meters with the current A50 small bore
    target 4-5 10x had to be meet in all positions with open or peep sights. No optics-[:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I like that Kyle Lamb course. But I was hoping to keep a fixed distance for all strings (for setup reasons).

Another question. If I reduce the distance, are the TQ4 targets still OK to use or should I get reduced targets appropriate for the distance I decide on?

I've never shot a smallbore match, let alone try to organize one. I've put on some bowling pin & defensive pistol shoots but this is all new to me. I want the event to be challenging and fun, regardless of the resulting scores!
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Tell the complainers that if they don't like the 100 yard course you can replace it with the USMC A course:
    10 rnds Offhand slow 200 yards
    10 rnds Sitting rapid 200 yards w/1 magazine change
    10 rnds Kneeling slow 300 yards
    10 rnds Prone rapid 300 yards w/1 magazine change
    10 rnds Prone slow 500 yards

In deference to shooter over 40 you could concede to the use of scopes, but if there's even a slight breeze it will really separate the pointers from the aimers.[:)]
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key word is "fun". If you make the match difficult so that only the better shooters with the better equipment will win, then the fun part is gone. Then, it's called competition.

JMHO

Ray
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We shoot mini silhouettes at 25,50,75,100 meters with 22 rifles and pistols with no problems [;)]
    Tell them to quit their bitchen [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention I'm already allowing scopes. I'll just score them separate from iron sights. I'm also giving a free pass on the shooting positions for those who can not get down and up anymore.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a really nice comprise. Everyone should be able be able to work on their group size and have some fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like I am on track for a good match [:D].
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you call fun.
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck finding .22 ammo.[:)] Sounds like fun. Hope you get it going.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at CMP Rimfire Sporter. Ordinary guns (7.5 lb max), open sights or 6X maximum scope in separate divisions. Fairly generous target.
    50 yards prone and sitting, 25 yards standing.
    As they say, it is a reasonable challenge, but nobody has yet cleaned the 60 shot CoF.

Read at http://odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My 9yr old daughter refuses to shoot her 10/22 at any target under 100 yards, she says it is just too easy.

Back when I was a kid I competed in 4 position small-bore, there was one match that we would shoot that would have a fun stage, it was prone at 200 yards, our Redfield Olympic sights did not have the adjustment needed so we would measure the drop and find a place to hold on the target. it was a ton of fun and made 100 yard shooting easy by comparison.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, the competition should be who can find a brick of .22's under 30 bucks...that'll be worlds more difficult than the courses listed.[:D]

Don't make it a killer so that 85% of your people don't want to do it again... but I always try to make the winners work a bit for the win, and those on the cusp strive to better their scores next time...[8D]

The rimfire classic looks great. I'd suggest to start off maybe just one handgun and one rifle, each offhand then rested, for four courss of fire (400-40x High possible score). Then you can later expand it if it grows in popularity to be like their course. (That keeps the guys with 4 dedicated guns from blowing everyone away and the average joe with 2 plinkers can join in the fun with a chance at winning.)

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm leaning towards RobOz's suggestion. If the weather ever breaks around here, I'll try it out myself!
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    We used to raise funds for our teen team by holding egg shoots.
    Back then, you could get 12 dozen eggs for about $10.
    We spread sand about an inch deep across the lanes at the various distances, hung a clothesline between two posts at each one, and taped the eggs to the clothesline.
    It cost 0.25 per shot, and $5 to register (we had to rent the range, so everybody paid at the desk), and we split it 80/20 with the range for cleanup.
    Nobody could afford a scope for a .22, so it was iron sights only.
    Those eggs must have shrunk from the heat of all those bullets going by, because 144 eggs lasted over 6 hours.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion but 200 yards with a 22lr is more about doping wind than marksmanship.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Just my opinion but 200 yards with a 22lr is more about doping wind than marksmanship.

Could that be why snipers aren't considered "marksmen"?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put that in perspective. I shot on an ROTC rifle team using 22's on an indoor range. No outside interference or factors to deal with. Plain old marksmanship skills were the requirements. Most of the time, any shot outside the 10 ring put you out of the top score.
    We all know that wind will be a big factor with a 22 at 200 yards on an outdoor range and it's the biggest variable.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    right scope & right ammo, its a doodle ! I shoot pesky rabbits at 200yds with yellow jacket .. may take 2-3 shots to stop 'em but I get em [:D]