In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question about Selling/Buying Brass

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
I figure reloaders would be the people to ask about selling brass.
What I have in mind is a fixed price EACH.
My thought on this is not everyone wants 500, 1000, or 3000.
Anyone seen this done before?
Any thoughts on the method would be appreciated.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost always buy 10 boxes or more at a time. I would look at shipping prices as to how many fit in the bulk rate box.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the caliber.
    For bulk blasting brass, you could just as well sell it by the pound. There are ABOUT 70 .223s or 112 9mm P per pound, and if your ad stated that brass was packed by weight and you might get a few more or less, that would be all right by me.

Now if I want 42 pieces of .482 LSE (That's Lower Slobbovian Express) to go on safari with, then pricing them at $5.39 each would make sense.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    casper1947,

I don't buy in small amounts because it costs too much and I shoot too much. You can sell brass in any quantity you desire. I have a calculator and can figure any cost per 100 I need to.

Bruno's in Phoenix lists their brass as 'per piece' on their website.

Norma is selling brass in packages of 20 for one price then offering 'bulk' in packages of 25 for slightly smaller price.

Nosler, depending on the demand for a particular cartridge, lists prices in 10, 20, 25 and 50.

With the new price increases, the manufacturers believe that they can hide some of the increase by selling smaller amounts of brass per package. Do the math and see what the up charges are before buying, especially Nosler.

Best.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    casper1947,

I don't buy in small amounts because it costs too much and I shoot too much. You can sell brass in any quantity you desire. I have a calculator and can figure any cost per 100 I need to.

Bruno's in Phoenix lists their brass as 'per piece' on their website.

Norma is selling brass in packages of 20 for one price then offering 'bulk' in packages of 25 for slightly smaller price.

Nosler, depending on the demand for a particular cartridge, lists prices in 10, 20, 25 and 50.

With the new price increases, the manufacturers believe that they can hide some of the increase by selling smaller amounts of brass per package. Do the math and see what the up charges are before buying, especially Nosler.

Best.

I don't buy in small amounts either.

My last purchase was a 60# bucket.[:D]

I calculate cost + shipping per round myself.

I am just thinking of pricing just lower than what appears the going price for 500.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    casper1947,

I think there is a market for smaller amounts for a segment of the public market. There are lots of folks who want to have a short run of cartridges for a rifle just to test before selling it. Call it short term commitment. Others believe that they need just enough to load for hunting and no more. That way their cash isn't outstanding on ammunition sitting on a shelf and getting used just during hunting season.

Try it, you can always change your mind and sell larger amounts or do both. Offer a wide selection of quantities. The price per piece may take off especially if you discount for bulk amounts.

Best.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Here is what I would try in your shoes.

Pack as much as you reasonably can into a "one price" USPS box of various calibres.

Sell in lots of whatever that works out to be.
    Price accordingly and hype the FREE SHIPPING (because you can already factor that in).

Just my 2 cents.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on big, good way to sell.

I buy and sell a lot of brass and it seems to depend on what type brass you are selling. Pistol sells well in large volume with USPS shipping, generally not worth listing less then 500 pcs.

Target rifle brass is between 250-500 pcs.

Hunting rifle brass (7mm Rem Mag, .338 Win Mag, .243, .270, .264 Win mag) is very spotty for time of the year and normally 20-50 pcs is a good number.

I always include a few extra in the count to assure the customer is happy and just in case there's a bad piece of brass.

Good luck.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    As said, really depends on the caliber. For 9mm, .45, etc., I buy buy the pound, bucket, bag, whatever if used, or by the 100-500 count if new. For something odd like 6.5 Carcano, a bag of 100 is all I need, likely forever; for something even odder like 8X60R Kropatschek, 20 cases is plenty as I probably get a hankering to shoot it once every 5 years or so.