In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot Groups - 3 shots or 5 shots

Is there a military training officer &/or military/civilian match shooter who can answer the following questions?
1. Is there a military training Spect for rifle that uses a 3 shot groupings for sighting in and competition?
2. In competition shooting how many rounds are typically fired at a target in a round of rifle competition?
An old Navy vet dad needs to know.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    For USMC shooting- at least the way it was with the m14: it was three shot groups, which would make a triangle, then the sights were adjusted to the center of the triangle. Qualification consisted of a 50 round course. the 1000 yard competition was shoot until everyone but one has missed.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In NRA high power competitions there are 2 sighter shots at each distance and then 20 shots for record.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in benchrest there are unlimited sighters, and 5 record shots.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personal- in Reloading 3- 5shot strings tells me. Take rest and do another. Not an expert at BR, But some days you got game some days you don't. Don't be disappointed if your not at the top of the heap[:)]

Top Match guys are 24/7. [8D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 3 shots. I no longer have the concentration required to make a good 5 shot group. I no longer shoot formal competition. Nothing I shoot at is going to hold still for me to miss 4 times. I don't like to waste supplies. If I throw one way out, I'll shoot another to get a representative 3 shot group.