In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 Special Loads for 50 and 75 yds needed!

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
Hi experts. I would very much appreciate any and all advice on lead loads I can make up for my son's S&W 6" 38 special for a local competition he has entered. He has to shoot three rounds at 25, 50, and 75 yds. Is there a good load for all three ranges or am I looking at making a short range round and a long range round? I do reload a bit and was thinking 158 gr. semi-wadcutters as I think full wadcutters de-stabilize after 40 yds. or so. I've got several pounds of Titegroup on hand, getting any new powder nowadays is virtually impossible so I'd like to try to stick with the Titegroup. Any and all thoughts are always appreciated, I have till Labor Day to experiment

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run about 3 gr of Bullseye with a 150 gr cast SWC. Does fine for me from muzzle to 100 yard milk jugs full of water. Titegroup ought to be about the same. I generally only shoot one load one, not several per firearm.

If your run cast make sure the bullet base is free of lube.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:

If your run cast make sure the bullet base is free of lube.

Wondering if there are reasons for keeping the base free of lube other than it would cause problems with the powder and possibly the primer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Light powder charges in my 38 Special and 45 ACP can be effected by trace lube on cast bullet base, full loads in the 44 Mag not so noticeably. I only run 50/50 Alox/beeswax. My bullets are stored in bulk in covered coffee cans. Never had it affect the primers.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with one bullet one load for all ranges. I would stick with a SWC design and PRACTICE WITH IT. Somewhere near the top of the load chart should do it for him. Titegroup is a good powder for what you are doing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds great. If I understand correctly a SWC design is best. Is ther any appreciable accuracy/trajectory difference between, let's say a 150 gr. or 158 gr.? Also, I've read good things about Lasercast, is there another bullet maker you all like best? Thanks, again, for all the help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They should be fine in a 38 Special. Depending on the lube they use might even be ok in a 357.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Do you know anyone with a ransom rest to adjust your powder charge and find That Sweet Spot. IMHO That is the only way to test Hand guns.
    Do you live anywhere Near Central Va. .If so I will help you test for free.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Off web site,

Hodgdon

Titegroup

.358"

1.475"

11,500 CUP

15,400 CUP

I always used Unique for shooting handgun silhouettes out to 100yds with my S&W 14 [;)] Shot 158gr SWC, 5.0gr Unq for about 900fps [^]
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I don't use Titegroup, but the best bullet I've found for the .38 Special at all ranges is the Lyman 358430 200-grain. I use 5 grains of Blue Dot for a velocity of around 800 fps, in a 6" Smith Model 10. This load stays inside 2" at 50 yards, but you must adjust your sight picture because they shoot high.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, everyone, I've got a pretty good idea where to start! The experts on these forums have never let me down