In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

?? for those reloading 6.5-06

JustC, Nononsense, others.........

My Rem 700 BDL, originally chambered in 25-06 is supposed to be the platform for a 6.5-06. Here is one (of many) of my questions;

Should I expect magazine (internal box, with floorplate) length to cause trouble when loading VLD style bullets? IOW, if I stay within magazine length, am I going to be able to seat, say 140 gr VLDs, to the length I need in order to take FULL advantage of the -06 case capacity?

Thanks in advance for y'all's advice/opinions.......

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    A long 700 will accept H&H length cartridges. I would load a dummy round with a VLD to just fit the magazine, then have the chamber throated to .010" bullet "jump". I think that you will have enough mag length to use the '06 case.

Another option (and preferable to me) is to simply install a single shot adapter and forget the magazine.

I once had a 40X .300 Win Mag, factory built on a short action. Wouldn't eject a loaded round, you had to remove the bolt. Ejected empties fine, and shot great.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad's best rifle as kid was a 256 Newton built by A & M on a FN action. It was a Quick Twist version 1-7.5". It would handle everything between 87 and 180 grain bullets.

I have a Newton rifle that was in 256. The barrel was completely shot out to a smoothbore. I re-barreled it to 30-06 with a Springfield 3-43 unit. I making it up to be my off hand rifle. What I really want to do is re rifle the smoothbore barrel as a QT in 7mm and re-chamber it to 280 Ackley Improved
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

It's late so this will be shorter than usual.

quote:Should I expect magazine (internal box, with floorplate) length to cause trouble when loading VLD style bullets?

No. You have 3.600" approximately to work with as far as OAL is concerned. Berger 140 gr. VLD bullets will only have about 0.116" of shank left in the case when loaded to this length. So you have more than enough box length to accommodate those long skinny bullets and still get the most case capacity.

quote:...to the length I need in order to take FULL advantage of the -06 case capacity?

Full advantage? That's a nebulous question since we don't have any parameters to go by. Different powder and bullet combinations will often leave the case slightly less than full to the base of the bullet. Yet your chronograph will report that you have achieved the best velocity range that the cartridge is capable of providing. More powder space will not necessarilly guarantee higher velocities or better efficiency.

The real question is which length to standardize on with which bullets? This is determined by testing then accepting the length of your chamber or adjusting the length by set back or extending the throat. Either way, it's trip back to the gunsmith unless the standard SAAMI length is what you accept. I would pay close attention to which reamer and it's specifications before letting a gunsmith cut my chamber.

I think I have 5 different reamers plus throaters for my variations on the 6.5-06. The plain Jane standard is about the best for general hunting using the standard bottom metal and internal box. It will function and feed first time, every time without hesitation.

Best.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Charliemeyer Be aware the original NEWTON rifle did not have normal rifle ing in their barrel the rifle looked shot out when new . It was the same type as what Glock and others use today Polygone "SPELLING". Don't ruin Your Rifle if it is an original NEWTON but sell it here and purchase a new rifle in your choice OF Calibers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Charliemeyer Be aware the original NEWTON rifle did not have normal rifle ing in their barrel the rifle looked shot out when new . It was the same type as what Glock and others use today Polygone "SPELLING". Don't ruin Your Rifle if it is an original NEWTON but sell it here and purchase a new rifle in your choice OF Calibers.

Perry Shooter, I believe the word you are looking for is "polygonal" rifling. HK and Desert Eagle alos use this style rifling.

wanted man, as an addition to what nononsense has stated, I suggest H4831sc as your starting powder with the 140gr pills. It has been outstanding in my "improved" version of the 6.5-06
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel is shot out trust me. Every bullet key-holed with bullets from 87 to 160 gr. at 30 yards. I wish some of my shotguns would pattern as well.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies y'all........
    Just for clarification, the rifle WAS to become a 6.5-06 ACKLEY, but YET AGAIN, I've stumbled upon something that causes me to put this project on hold...
    I came across a Savage 10T that I simply CANNOT pass on, and by the time I'm into it for a stock upgrade, etc. the money for the -06 AI simpply isn't there.
    Your time and efforts are not wasted though; EVENTUALLY i WILL get this done, and I'll have all this advice/commentary to use in making some decisions.
    In the meantime, I'll continuue to shoot the 25-06 donor, which is a tack driver as is........