In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 REMINGTON

MarkFi2323MarkFi2323 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I believe that it is possible to make 30 Remington brass from 30/30. Any advice would be appreciated.
Morty

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anybody know if any other cartridges can be cut down to make a 30 Remington cartridge? Anywhere 30 rem brass can be obtained?

Thanks

MF
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo {elsewhere}s .30 Rem but has none in stock.
    Matter of luck, but .25 and .32 Rem are on the same head diameter. Not .35.

It can be made out of .30-30 but that is a lathe job to convert rimmed to rimless.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Remington only makes brass every other year. This year isn't it. I've been buying it from Midway, Widener's and Graf. I think Jameson makes brass too.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the 30 Remington chambered in pre WWII rifles, or the newer 30 Remington AR, which is basically a 284 Winchester, shortened and shoulder pushed back so that it would fit in an AR rifle?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    BLACK HILLS SHOOTERS SUPPLY LISTS IT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    talking about 30 rem for model 8's and 81's. not ar's. Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep looking for a brass source - but none is available now.

I keep checking the ammo sector in GunBroker, occasionally someone sells 30 Remington ammo, problem is that some of it is pre-wwII, brittle for reloading even after annealing.

Thanks, Mark
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    It's a bother, but as mentioned 30-30/32WSpl/225 brass can be used by turning the rim down and cutting an extractor groove- another possibility is 6.5x54MS brass, but it may not be any easier to find than 30 Rem.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5x54 has a larger head diameter. Better to try .32 Remington, if can be found.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have a part of a box somewhere. I'll look this afternoon.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a box with 14 rounds in it.
  • Options
    TriumphGuyTriumphGuy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting and reloading for 30 Remington is a labor of love. As some have stated, much old brass is brittle. Action lockup on models 14 and 141 is not as rigid as a bolt gun, and the 8 and 81 automatics must be horrific. My model 14 has excessive headspace, which is expensive to correct properly. I custom load 30 Rem with an extended shoulder to make them fit properly and not back out primers or shear off heads. The effort is worth it. My 100 year old pump gun will cut a 1-1/2 in. cloverleaf at 100 yds. I have mounted a scope on it (sacrilege), but that ancient barrel was rifled with great care and does well with modern bullets. Hoard that brass when you can find it. I have found odd boxes over the years, gathering dust. Dealers told me that Rem kept making it for the modest populations of pumps and autos still banging around in the eastern woods. A lot of brass went away when the 40 Action Express craze bloomed and a quick way to make that stuff was to cut down 30 Remington brass. Tragic.
  • Options
    jds56jds56 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've recently listed two auctions for 80 new R-P, .30 Rem cases under "Reloading Components". 427242135 and 427246053