In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Moly bullet users.... Questions, please????

Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
I have been using moly coated bullets on my high volume prairie dog bolt rifles for over 10 years now and love the fact that I can shoot 200 rounds or more without having the clean the bore ....... I am in the process of buying a Rock River Arms LAR-15 in 223/5.56 with a bull barrel and planning on using it for varmints as well. Should I stick with moly coated bullets for this rifle or because it's an AR15, just shoot naked bullets? Thoughts, please......

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You must be about the last one using them [^]
    They found the build-up in barrels wasn't worth the trouble they had getting it out [B)]
  • Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had a problem with Moly build-up in any of my 22-250's over the last 12 years and love the product.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never saw the need for moly bullets.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redbear57,

quote: Should I stick with moly coated bullets for this rifle or because it's an AR15, just shoot naked bullets?

Either, it doesn't matter which you choose. Either will work. If you are confident with the moly then continue with the moly.

The current use of moly on bullets is reduced significantly from years ago when it was a fad. That's why you see a reduced number of bullets being moly coated by the bullet makers.

Moly is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. This moisture the moly absorbs has been shown to cause rusting or pitting inside of the barrels. That's when many shooters threw in the towel on moly. Wreck a $600.00 barrel and that's all she wrote for moly bullets.

Later, the wizards of magic came up with Tungsten Disulfide and more recently, Hexagonal Boron Nitride as 'new' coatings for bullets. Once again though these wonders of modern coating technology have failed for all the same reasons.

Those of us who shoot competitively often have 200-300 shot strings during the course of one day. Since most of us use high quality barrels properly broken in, we find that cleaning is both simple and fast with standard products and patches. This without having to resort to any of the above bullet coatings at all. And no these aren't wimpy light loads, they are full house, high velocity loads for long range tactical competitions.

With all that being said, you sound as if moly is right for you so I suggest sticking with it. Confidence in your choices is extremely important to your performance.

Best.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back in the last Century, around 1995 - 99. Sierra bullets did a very comprehensive test of moly vs naked. It was published in PS magazine. If you can get your hands on a copy it is well worth your time to read it.

I won't tell you what the conclusions were but if you are a moly believer, you probably won't like it.

Ray
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion on moly in AR's is not pleasant (from past experience), I will leave it at that.