In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loose primers

wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
Have some fired once French Military 7.62 cases. I know once fired because the crimp was still there. After processing the brass and then seating the new primers I noticed the primers are loose in the pocket. If I blow into the case the primer moves so I believe these are way too loose. Pretty sure I should not finish reloading these but what about the ones I already put the primer in? Carefully decap and then save the primers for some other case? Scrap the cases or try a different package of primers? I have reloaded some of these same cases with the same size of primer without this problem.
Primers are CCI200.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    been using win lg mag rifle primers in new win brass, 25-06 rem. after 3-4 firings, wanted to try fed 210M and found them to be very loose when trying to seat. a few fell out so removed all.went back to win mag lg rifle and got nice snug fit, none loose.any thoughts,ideas suggestions on this issue? thanks.

email @ rrhogueiii@aol.com or 701-730-5161.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spent some time looking for anwers on other forums. The range of answers were from "put a little super glue on them so they don't fall out, the pressure will seal the area around the primer when fired" to "carefully decap them and dispose of the cases, primers should be OK". Seems like some reloaders are chance takers and others err on the safe side. I'll go with the safe side. Replacing eyes and even the firearm itself gets expensive.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they're that loose, push the primers out by hand and dispose of the cases. Are you sure you didn't get over exuberant with the crimp removal?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did you remove the crimp? My favorite way is to use a sharp clip point blade and cut the crimp out leaving a slight bevel. Some of the swaging type units work better than others. I have an antique Lyman primer pocket reamer that will fix the too tight ones and remove the crimp at the same time. Slow and a pain but it works.

I'd toss the cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Decapped using a decapping rod, case holder, small hammer on a small anvil. First tried using the press but decapper pin pushed through primer. I then reamed the burr off the pocket. I could see over reaming a few cases but not 85 of them. I have carefully removed the primers and crushed the brass for scrap. New brass on order. I probably wouldn't be using old military brass from France. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just as well. The french brass has a rep for being brittle and cracking after repeated firings- at the head. Not fun to be behind that. Ask me how I know.

Supergluing in the primers would likely be ok for light cast loads but I wouldn't want to try it for anything hotter.