In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any truth to this or sales pitch? Berger VLD

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
Been wanting to try the Berger vld's But not sure if I do need a VLD die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGp0At_k-I

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Hornady bullets have secant ogives. I have never had marks on my bullets from the seating stem.

That guy in the video needs to seat the bullet 1/2 way, lower the ram and spin the case 180 degrees then finish seating the bullet. That takes out about 50% of the alignment error.

The little experience I have with Berger's was good. I don't think I have any in my stock. I helped new reloader's set up for: 25-06, 280 Rem and a 300 Something Mag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Some Hornady bullets have secant ogives. I have never had marks on my bullets from the seating stem.

That guy in the video needs to seat the bullet 1/2 way, lower the ram and spin the case 180 degrees then finish seating the bullet. That takes out about 50% of the alignment error.

The little experience I have with Berger's was good. I don't think I have any in my stock. I helped new reloader's set up for: 25-06, 280 Rem and a 300 Something Mag.

That's exactly what I do. But my suspicion is on true deformity of the standard seating die VS. the VLD die considering it is low pressure. But I do not know-
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The VLD seater stem has more of a angle cut into it than the regular one, thats it...
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The VLD seater stem has more of a angle cut into it than the regular one, thats it...
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

Almost everything I shoot nowadays is VLD or VLD Hybrid except for some hunting loads and even then some are VLD/Hybrid.

No matter what others may suggest, the impression made in the ogive of VLD bullets by the non-VLD seater is both noticeable and measurable. It can be most significant on bullets where the lead inside the jacket does not extend up into the point where the seater contacts the ogive. Obviously it will be slightly less so on bullets where the lead nearly fills the jacket.

You do not have to order the entire Redding Micrometer seater (fairly pricey) just to fix the VLD problems. The solution is to either replace the seater on the stem with the proper seater or have the die maker do this for you. You can also lap the seater slightly in order to make the accommodation of the VLD shape easier. Be sure to check for contact in the nose or meplat (mouth of the bullet jacket) area because this will cause all sorts of problems with both accuracy and measurements. If you're really handy, you can make your own seater on a lathe very simply.

Here is an example of how we treat VLD Hybrids for the 6.5-4S loads:

6_5-4S_detail.jpg

Please note that the bullets are not only seated with the proper seater but have also been pointed for extreme accuracy at longer ranges.

I have retrofitted some of my older seating dies with the newer Micrometer tops but this can get expensive real quick depending on the number of tops needed. If you have bushing dies you can alternate some tops for other versions of cartridges without buying all new dies. You can also start with the best from the very beginning by using some of the 'custom' dies by Whidden, Warner Tool Co., Neil Jones, Wilson, Harrels, Newlon Precision, JLC, etc. We often buy the Newlon blanks and cut our own dies to match some of our wildcat developments. Whidden has some excellent dies sets available and in stock.

Make your own or buy the replacements but do it no matter what. Your reloads will show you the proof.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks NN and others. I had a feeling you would set me strait[8D] Time to go shopping![:D]
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to the above, there are vld seating stems available from most die manufacturers. Just order and swap the stem. If you don't already have micro top dies and don't want to retro fit them, PMA makes a micro adjust lock ring that allows you to do the same thing. Super expensive for a "lock ring" but can be switched back and forth between all of your dies...