In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More messing with Berger VLD's .308 win.

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
I have not loaded any yet till I get some input.[:)] With a Sinclair seating depth gauge, with fire formed Lapua brass and the Berger 155gr
hunting VLD. I got 2.930 COL. on the lands I seated a dummy round at 2.912.

I blackened the bullet, Chambered the round and it feels a little stiff
but no marks on the bullet, however I was getting a ring just at the ogive at 2.925 Normal? or still to long?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kitchen match/candle soot or Sharpie Black?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sharpie black. My Goal was to seat them off .005- .008 off the lands. But decided to go a little deeper till I see what it does. I have never worked with this style of bullet profile, so I don't know what is right or wrong.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soot is thicker, no hint of rifling cut in and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

What rifle is this? M700?

If yes, remember that you have a plunger ejector adding substantial pressure to the cartridge.

If no, then I'm curious as to the length of the leade (freebore) and it's diameter. Who's reamer? What are the freebore and ogive dimensions?

Mark another bullet but include the ogive and shank of the bullet. See if by this measuring technique, you are getting a ring again.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check to see if that ring is from the seating stem also. I have some dies that leave a ring at the ogive on VLD pills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    FrancF,

What rifle is this? M700?

If yes, remember that you have a plunger ejector adding substantial pressure to the cartridge.

That is it, I did another and it's good! Not sure of the free bore my 40x was built at the remington custom shop. My other 40x the gunsmith passed away but its going to get a new pipe soon.

Thanks all for the help!