In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sierra factory second bullets

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
Anyone use them?

Opinions?

Accuracy results?

I am assuming they are just blems, like Noslers.

Any information may be helpful

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 80's I shoot away hundreds of pounds of Speer seconds. They were priced by the pound, and I would buy all they had in any caliber I could use. Surplus powder were good deal then too.

Most were blems, some a nick on the nose, maybe a little light. I just used them for trigger time on cans, rocks, varmints. I do think a deer was harvested using them with no issues.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bulk of my shooting is done with Nosler and Hornady seconds. The only thing that I could ever detect was blemishing on the jacket. Weight and length was always right there with 1st run bullets. YMMV
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used them in my .338 Win Mag (250 & 300 SMKs) and all I have noticed is that they have small discolorations on the jackets - no effect on accuracy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been using the Nosler Partition 2nds, but want to experiment with other brands and I am a cheap SOB! [:D]

After further research, Sierra does not ship the seconds. I would have to go to Sedalia, MO myself or know someone close.

Eh....it was a good thought, at least.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've won gold medals at Camp Perry using 'blem' and 'seconds' bullets. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality, just cosmetically they are tarnished, or have a nick in SOME bullets in the lot, or something. Or, I'm fairly convinced, sometimes they just mark them as seconds because that particular style isn't selling well or they have an overrun or something.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    When Sierra was in CA I use to buy and shoot them. They worked great. Just had to sort through and throw out the bad ones. Accuracy wise I couldn't tell any difference once the bad ones were sorted out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses guys, but since it is pick up only....it just isn't going to happen.

Nosler ships theirs, but they are not as cheap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    Thanks for the responses guys, but since it is pick up only....it just isn't going to happen.

Where are you looking at the Noslers? I use this place for blems.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy from MidwayUSA the seconds they sell are often Sierras, that's where I got my SMK seconds. How well I remember the days when Sierra was in Santa Fe Springs, CA and you could go in and buy seconds by the pound.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

Where are you looking at the Noslers? I use this place for blems.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

That's the place!

Thanks fuelie.....I'll try that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Graff and Son get Sierra seconds in every once in awhile.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Graff and Son get Sierra seconds in every once in awhile.

Thanks, Rob.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most blem bullets I have seen have varying ogives and meplats, probably from machine set-up or variation during production.
    I have never seen any effect on accuracy, but you might drive yourself crazy if you a OCD about COL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Most blem bullets I have seen have varying ogives and meplats, probably from machine set-up or variation during production.
    I have never seen any effect on accuracy, but you might drive yourself crazy if you a OCD about COL.

I see that on non blems too.
  • Options
    The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ogive varies a lot! More so in factory seconds than 1st, but the 1st varry also! Measured 150 SMK 168 g factory 2nd bullets Ogive to base and overall length. Put each bullet in a numbered hole in my bullet board so I knew exactly which bullet had what measurements. Recorded the measurements in a spread sheet where I was able to subtract the Ogive to base measurement from the overall length measurement to get the Ogive to nose measurement. Then sorted the spread sheet to get them in order longest to shortest.
    My Ogive gauge measures at a bullets dia of .297". There was as much as 0.020" variation in the nose measurements. I then took bullets of the same nose measurements and put them in my sacrifice case ( split down the neck ) and chambered them Letting the rifling push them into the case. Then measured them Ogive to cartridge base.
    Even bullets with the same Ogive to nose measurement varied as much as 0.010" in Ogive to cartridge base. I measure at .297 but the rifling engages them at .300 which is significant. The dia difference is small but you are near the end of the taper to full dia. Inconsistent nose geometry creates the difference in the measurements.
    When doing the same with bullets a of various Ogive to nose measurements, I got Ogive to cartridge base measurements that varied s much as 0.040".
    If you want consistent loads, set your bullets long enough that your rifling finishes seating them when chambered and adjust your powder loads to accommodate this. They may wing up long enough that they won't run in your mag.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    where does one acquire these magical beasts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    where does one acquire these magical beasts?

The blems?
  • Options
    The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sierra has a factory store at their Sedalia, MO plant. You can get their factory seconds price list from their web site. They suggest call before coming. Inventory varies. They do not ship their seconds. You must purchase at the store only, for personal use, and not to resale. Quite convenient for those who close enough to drive over to get some. Prices r by the lb w bullet counts by lb. u will save apex 30-40% before gas money.a