In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do any of y'all...

Own/shoot/reload the .260 rem in an AR platform?
Do you have any commentary that you feel would dissuade someone from doing the same?
For that matter, ANY info about this platform/chambering combination which you find comment-worthy is welcome........
TIA!

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

I have chambered and test fired probably 40 or more AR10 platforms in .260 Rem. There is nothing wrong with the platform or that particular chamber in that platform at all. In fact you can add that the entire .308 cartridge family works quite well in the AR10 platform and this includes the .338 Federal.

However, with the advent of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, the popularity of the .260 Rem. has faded slightly. The newer case is slightly improved (same case capacity as the .260) but slightly shorter also, allowing the longer bullets to be seated out slightly and gaining a little powder space. There is also the 6mm Creedmoor and the .22 Creedmoor to shoot in the same platform. I have shot the 6mm and the 6.5mm in competition and I have the .22 Creedmoor in a dedicated AR10 varmint rifle.

Loaded ammunition for the 6.5mm Creedmoor is available from Hornady as is the brass for reloading. 6mm Creedmoor brass is available through GA Precision with custom loads available through Copper Creek Custom Cartridges. Currently the .22 Creedmoor is a self appointed reloading task.

Best.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mike, just when I think I've finally decided on what I want my ONLY AR to be chambered in, you come along and remind me how ignorant I truly am!..........lol
    So, 6.5 Creed in an AR platform, huh???.........scratching my head

I haven't had a chance to do so, but I guess I need to compare the 6.5 Creed velocities to the .260 and see where I stand..........
    Much appreciated (all joking aside) nononsense!
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    wanted man,

Here is an article which compares the two cartridges:

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Here is a good introductory article:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/wp-content/uploads/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/200961145351-hornadycreedmoor.pdf

Best.

Thank you for the links, nononsense!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, what I take away from this is that the .260 gives you an edge in case capacity...My next question would be; Are you able to take advantage of this "extra" case capacity in an AR platform.....especially if you're looking at loading towards the heavier end of the bullet selection??
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    So, what I take away from this is that the .260 gives you an edge in case capacity...My next question would be; Are you able to take advantage of this "extra" case capacity in an AR platform.....especially if you're looking at loading towards the heavier end of the bullet selection??

Wanted man,

The capacity is just about equal. Give or take a grain or two.
    The advantage goes to the 6.5 Creed as nn may have been leading you to. While the overall capacity of the .260 may be greater, the useable capacity of the 6.5 Creed is better in the -10 platform. If using for short range with shorter bullets, the .260 might be your gig. If looking for long range in the -10 platform, the 6.5 Creedmoor takes the cake.

That said, advantage slips back and forth between the 6mm and 6.5 for bullet advantage. Shooting long range this is a big deal. Most of the time a 6mm gets there flatter. The 6.5 has a windage advantage. It drifts less in the same mph winds (usually) because of heavier bullets.

Added:
    Just my opinion, but the 6.5 Creed is the way to go in an AR platform. A bolt gun with the right throat, I would take a .260. Either way though it's as close as a flip of a coin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

That is properly stated by sandwarrior, the 6.5mm Creedmoor is the best choice for the AR10 platform. And actually, the pendulum has swung in favor of the 6.5mm Creedmoor in bolt action rifles as well. Many competitors as well as young hunters have decided in favor of the 6.5mm Creedmoor over other cartridges. The availability of high quality, factory ammunition is one of the best reasons for the hunters. Mild recoil is a bonus.

At one time the .260 Rem. was the only choice for a 6.5mm anything in a short action rifle. Now though the 6.5mm has exploded with a multitude of standard and wildcat choices both in long and short action configurations.

I have been running a 6.5 x WSSM (Heaton) for a few years now but I recently switched most of my long range rifles over to either the 6.5 RSAUM or the 6.5 WSM, both in short actions. One of my trusty Mausers has been re-barreled to the 6.5 x 57 (32 degree shoulder) and another into the 6.5-06 Improved (40 degree shoulder).

The advent of new powder formulations has me re-visiting the .264 Winchester as well. I've found three very accurate lower pressure, higher velocity loads with some slippery VLD bullets.

Do some more checking and let us know where you get to.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Checking, indeed..........
    As always, thanks for the input!