In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70, a work in progress, UPDATED

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Not happy with cast loads. The "pattern" is 3" at 50 yards. I cast the 405 Lee a bit soft and am going to remelt the remaining 50 boolits and add some linotype. My guess is even at the 1300-1400 I am driving them is too fast for the alloy. Recoil from 2,000 FPS loads is staggering.

Bought some 300 grain JHP's for testing. With a stiff for lever guns load of RE7 at 50 yards the group is hovering at 1-1/2 inches.

Going to try some more at 100 then 150 yards to check the drop.

Recoil from the 300 grain loads is stiff but manageable for hunting Bambi.

I am looking for any wisdom you can add when shooting this venerable old cartridge. It is a BIG slug, back in the day the wounds from it must have been horrific.

UPDATE:
Took the book load listed as potentially most accurate, that being 51.5 grains of IMR 3031. A four shot group at 50 yards was one ragged hole and round.

Put it out to 100 yards and it was great! the 300 grain Hornaday HP printed a solid 5 shot 2" group, four in 1" the third shot of the string going low. At 175 yards ringing the steel plate 8X10 inches was easy. I am now happy with jacketed bullets in this rifle barrel.

Another powder I have had zero luck with loading in the past is IMR 4759, but for fun and giggles I tried it in the 45-70 not expecting much from this orphan powder. I shot it at 40 a grain load. at 50 yards all five could be covered with a silver dollar. I might need to revisit this powder for jacketed loads in the 45-70.

Now this week after work, if it stays cool, I will get busy casting some 340 and 405 grain boolits making sure they are hard enough to drive 12-1400 FPS.

I appreciate all the help and wisdom you folks have shared!

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back the load off to 1300 fps. I have used factory and hand loaded ammo with great success. It makes a .45 caliber hole all the way through.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bruce,
    What are you trying to do with your 45-70?
    I've loaded everything from TrailBoss with 350gr bullets at about 1,200fps, to 400grain Barnes SS loaded over RL#7 at 2,100fps. in my Siamese Mauser. Need to know what kind of gun and what your trying to achieve.
    W.D.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have poor luck with Lee molds. What rifle are you loading for and what twist rate does it have? What bullet lube are you using and what size compared to your barrel?

Your recovered bullets should tell you the story if they are stripping in the rifling.

I have Lyman's in 292, 330 HP, and 500 gr. I had a 385 that was my favorite but I didn't get it back from loan.

My current 45-70 is on a Mexican Small Ring Mauser. I think about 6# loaded with sling. Has full peeps and a Cutts compensator.

My 330 HP casts large (+.461) with antimony containing alloy, real PIA to get them down to .458.

Powder choice is important. I have used almost everything, some work way better. Kopek or some other lightweight space filler can be useful. Super heavy crimp for tubular magazines can cause accuracy issues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun is an ENCORE factory barrel twist is 1:20.

The 45-70 has one purpose here, kill deer cleanly (a big hole does that) and humanely (a accurate shot accomplishes that). Maybe some informal cast load plinking and paper punching for fun; that is secondary to killing deer.

I use 50/50 Alox-Beeswax exclusively sized to 458.

Need to check the field for slugs, it has been dry so they go skipping along the ground after mowing the grass.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some at 457 and 459.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Out of a 14" barreled T/C Contender one of my favorite loads has been a 475gr WFNGC (22BHN) seated at 2.75 over 51.5gr of Varget, it is very accurate but that will really get your attention. For a easier load I also love a 405gr RN at 2.55 over 53gr of 3031, still very accurate out of that pistol and it was Elmer Keith's favorite load. For a accurate light load that my 9 year old daughter could shoot I like a 300gr FN at 2.55 over 13gr of Trailboss.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My votes in for IMR 4759 as a powder in the 45-70.
    That will get you all the speed you need for any
    .458 bullet.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree with MK 19, that Trail Boss load is fun and very accurate, with light recoil.
    W.D.
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my BFR I use a Ranchdog 350grn gaschecked bullet sized to .459, anything smaller than .459 doesn't shoot worth a darn. 30-32grns of 4759 works great. My 40 year old Marlin lever gun likes 300grn JHP backed by 60grns of H-4198.Dave
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you that 300 grain JHP's at 1700 FPS will just flatten a deer in its tracks at 100 yds. Same load will anchor an Elk although they remain standing for a few seconds when hit. No reason to beat your shoulder up with bigger bullets than that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    I can tell you that 300 grain JHP's at 1700 FPS will just flatten a deer in its tracks at 100 yds. Same load will anchor an Elk although they remain standing for a few seconds when hit. No reason to beat your shoulder up with bigger bullets than that.

Thanks steve45, I was ah-thinkin' a 300 grain bullet was all the medicine a deer needs to get ready for the freezer. The LONGEST shot I could see taking is about 130 yards from either of my blinds.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    A 300 gr slug, travelling @ 1700 fps is quite comparable to a 12 ga factory (non0rifled, non-sabot) load. That's PLENTY for whitetail @ 150 yds or so......