In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did I goof? Powder storage...

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
I had some PB that I left in the hopper for a week or two. Let's go with two to be safe.

I was straightening up my bench and thought "that doesn't belong there" and poured it back into the container of PB with the rest of that powder.

Pretty low humidity in my shop area.

If I'd been thinking, I would have thrown it away. But, I wasn't thinking.

Options?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably okay.

BUT when I was doing lots of reloading I kept the empty canisters for just that thing.
    I put the "old" powder into it's own can and marked it as what happened. NEVER use a re-marked wrong type of powder can to do this.

The reason I kept "old" powder separate from new, if I was working up hot loads, I didn't want "fresh" loads mixed in the middle of a batch with "old" powder.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be fine. It was a short enough time to not worry at all.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    low humidity and you should be fine.

I am an OCD type of guy when it comes to reloading. I check my powder container multiple times before loading a round. I also only ever have one powder container ON the table at a time, even though the rest are only a foot away under the counter.

notice the one can on the table and the rest underneath
    101_1215.jpg

Lastly, because of my paranoia about accidents with reloading,..I ALWAYS empty the powder completely back into the container. I even do this if I plan to load more tomorrow[:0] Yeah, I am that paranoid. I have become increasingly more-so since I know my son will be with me at any time. I have even forgone handloading for his rifle so that any mistake I may make on the loading bench will only blow up on me.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. What a nice clean roomy set up. That could be the poster for reloader's anonymous.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Wow. What a nice clean roomy set up. That could be the poster for reloader's anonymous.

It is larger these days,..that pic was a handful of years ago.

The reason it looks like that, is because I try very hard to make sure I don't make a mistake with powder, etc.

Notice there are 2 presses. The one on the right is a sizing/decapping press. The one on the left is the seating press. I do things in a very methodical manner to keep from making mistakes or missing something important.

I size/de-prime all the cases first
    clean primer pockets
    place cases in boiling water with dish soap
    dry cases
    prime cases
    charge case then seat a bullet (ONE CASE AT A TIME)

this way I don't double charge a case (not likely with rifle cases) and know every single case has been through the exact same process before firing the round.

That is why I answered the OP about ALWAYS placing the powder back in the container immediately after the loading session. Never too carefull[8]
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you didnt mix 2 different powders.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
    Make sure you didnt mix 2 different powders.

I'm good there.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll be fine.. I have used powder after leaving it in my hopper for weeks. No problems.
    However, it's in my climate controlled home.

I just keep one powder on the bench at a time.
    All others are under the cabinet.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use only one powder for pistols...Unique. I use one powder for my deer loads in .280 Rem and .30-06--IMR 4350. I use one powder for my .223/5.56...H335. I can't confuse any powders with any others.

But like you all, I always put the powder away when I'm done with it...maybe a couple days if I know I'm going to reload some more.

Now, I have other powders, for shotshell, etc., like PB, WSF, etc. But I don't actually USE them, so no worries about leaving them out or mixing them up.