In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

#57 primers

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Over many years I have accumulated a few thousand #57 shotgun primers (some good, some not so good). I know they don't fit modern hulls, but is there anything else to do with them other then disposal?

I'm out of room on my Primer shelf and would like to get rid of these if they can't be used for anything.

Any ideas?? (And no, I'm not sending you other primers to make room for these)

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might be down to a box of a 100. I keep them for old time sake. I might even have some cases that used them. We figured out you could easily force a 209 in the hole.

I saw some sell at gunshows during the great primer shortage. They were selling at the old normal price. I doubt most buyers understood the difference in size.

Do you ever do any wax bullet shooting in a pistol? Those cowboy quick draw people have cases that use 209 primers, you could make your own to the smaller primer.

I reamed the spent ignighter on my baseball training genrade to take a shotgun primer. The pop when you let the spoon fly will send alert trained people leaping for cover.

A buddy use to lathe out trip wire alarms that used shotgun primers as the active ingredient. Simple and effective.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Since no use, any advise on "how" to dispose of them? I can't shoot them since they don't fit anything. I read that water and/or WD40 does not do the trick. Not sure if my Police will take them (don't think so). I did have someone tell me to throw them out in the yard and let them sink in the dirt (NOT, I have to mow over and not interested in that method).

Only thing that makes sense to me so far is to take them to a show and give them away (someone else's problem).

Any advise??
    I would agree to put them up for auction, but the Haz Mat to ship them doesn't make sense to me, even for 1500-1600 of them. I'll try a local listing or show first.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would count how many you have and place a listing on the auction side for them at a penny start and see where it goes!
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mix a little cement in a coffee can and mix them in, then toss in the garbage can.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you shoot a 22 center fire. Take a few cases and modify them to take the primer. Press a 22 pellet in the neck and fire. Would make cheap trigger time.

added Soaking for week in used motor oil should work. Burn barrel will work. I would think you could give them away locally very easily, perhaps even trade for something useful.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Since no use, any advise on "how" to dispose of them? I can't shoot them since they don't fit anything. I read that water and/or WD40 does not do the trick. Not sure if my Police will take them (don't think so). I did have someone tell me to throw them out in the yard and let them sink in the dirt (NOT, I have to mow over and not interested in that method).

Only thing that makes sense to me so far is to take them to a show and give them away (someone else's problem).

Any advise??
    I would agree to put them up for auction, but the Haz Mat to ship them doesn't make sense to me, even for 1500-1600 of them. I'll try a local listing or show first.

Then have fun. Take them in a coffee can to a range, Shoot the can from 100 yards and enjoy the boom. Me, I would just put them in the burn barrel and enjoy the pop pop pop. [:D]