In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Annealing Question

pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
I will soon be making 222 Magnum cases from Norma 204 Ruger brass. Should I anneal them after resizing? They will eventually become 222 Magnum AI.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I tried to make some .340 Whby cases out of .300 Whbys I thought it would make it easier to anneal first then size. I've got some really interesting .300 Whby telescopes now. The brass was just too soft to allow the expander ball to go in without collapsing. I would say expand then anneal.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a q-tip with some Lee case lube to do the inside of the neck. Size. De-burr and uniform the flash hole. lightly inside champher the neck. Load with some cast bullets. Fire form. Trim to uniform length, champher inside and out. Neck size only if you have a good chamber. Enjoy. About 7-10 loadings you could anneal and trim again.

I like Norma brass.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have never found it prudent to anneal in case forming, for the reason mentioned. Either the case crumples, telescopes, whatever.

Now for FIREFORMING it's a great idea.