I have Mauser 98k...Which base & rings?

I recieved my 98k Mauser from Mitchell.(Premium Grade) I am very pleased. It is German, with all of the Nazi markings. It appears to be in fine condition, and the rifling looks good. Now, I can have it drilled and tapped, or Mitchell is about to offer a base & rings which do not require drilling & tapping. I want to put a 1" Leopold scope 3X9-40.Question: Do you all think that I should use the Mitchell system, or have it drilled & tapped?[?]

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I would imagine that the drilling and tapping would be a bit more solid than anything else if done the right way...
  • eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
    edited November -1
    I thought the same thing, but the lady at Mitchell Mauser said that their mount & rings were designed to resemble the original German ones, would hold the zero. The other factor is that ever since Katrina, the nearest gunsmith is 2 hours away, and he is backed up with work. I hate to do something half way, but I also hate to not see my rifle for a year or so. Should I give the Mitchell mount& rings a chance? I can alway change them later!?
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,535 ******
    edited November -1
    eboydell,

I'm not a real fan of Mitchell's but that's my prerogative.

I went to their website to look for these 'no gunsmithing' mounts and the only ones I see are the ones that replace the ladder sight which is located in front of the chamber. If there is a different set up, let us know. If this is what she's trying to sell you, you will need either an intermediate or long eye relief scope since it will be positioned further away from your eye. The concept has been referred to as the scout scope and marketed as a faster method of target acquisition and uses both eyes open rather than just the one eye.

I suggest that you do some reading about the idea and look to see what's available in the longer eye relief scopes before deciding.

Best.
    edited November -1
    She is speaking of mounts which will be available in 6 weeks. I thought about it last night, and I would feel much better having the rifle drilled & tapped. I want to mount a Zeiss 3X9-40 in 1" rings. The gunsmith tells me that I must re-configure the bolt in order to accommedate the scope. Does this seem correct?[?]
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,535 ******
    edited November -1
    eboydell,

If it has a straight bolt handle then yes, he has to heat and bend the bolt handle or cut it off and weld a new one on. My preference is to cut them off and put a new one on. Bent bolts are usually too short for my liking and by cutting off the original, I get the choice of designs that I want to use. Brownells has a selection as do others:

www.brownells.com

Best.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,815
    edited November -1
    The only reason to purchase a Michell Mauser (or other Michell item) is to get one in origional condition. IE: a near collector piece at collector+ pricing.

If your plan was to mutalate it all along, why didn't you simply pick up one of the $98 mismatched specials and hack away????

B-square makes a no-smithing mount that replaces the ladder sight, add in a LER scope and go (at least that way you can return it to it's origional configuration, once you come to your senses)
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    She is speaking of mounts which will be available in 6 weeks. I thought about it last night, and I would feel much better having the rifle drilled & tapped. I want to mount a Zeiss 3X9-40 in 1" rings. The gunsmith tells me that I must re-configure the bolt in order to accommedate the scope. Does this seem correct?[?]

if its straight then the answers is yes it will have to be re-configured. I dont know anything about mitchels mausers.. i bought a beater and turned it into this,257 Wyb Mag.
    sorry if the image is huge. it looks normal on this end.
    IMG_1095.jpg

the scope mount is a leopold. drilled and taped it myself.
    there are several ways to change the bolt handle. some of the ways I know of..

-heat it up with a torch until cherry red and bend bolt down and sweep it back for the sportster look or leave it straight it personal preferance.

Midway USA at one time offered a jig just for this operation. Brownells will have a similar jig. I can't find one right now but i know they exsit.

Also you'll need one of these to replace the factory saftey lever. so that it will work. the origonal cam's all the way over and will hit the scope before engaging. they are easy to install. if i remember right it can with some good installation instructions
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=631998

I cut the bolt off mine and beveld it on a grinder then welded it back on.

Advance technologies offers a bolt handle kit cost aroung $50 bucks
    cut the old one off as per instructions drill and tap a hole or two and bolt the new one on. DAMM this one is cheap!!!!!
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/758152118004.html
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys! That is a very beautiful Mauser with the "thumb-hole" stock. TAILGUNNER, I am not going to mutalate my 98k.The bolt comes fully bent. Hopefully, I will not have to alter it at all. Not to worry...my friend (who is a real gun "nut", has been teaching me about guns since I was 16 years old.) would kill me before he allowed me to butcher any gun. He is going to have a gunsmith drill & tap the receiver, then use a quality set of base and rings for the 3X9-40 Zeiss scope. I have another 98k with matching serial numbers that I would NEVER touch as it would ruin the collector's value. You guys have some great ideas...I appreciate your input,I and will tell you how it turns out. Thanks again.[:)]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,815
    edited November -1
    Earl
    The military bend won't clear a normaly mounted scope (it might clear with extra high rings however). The new/bent handle required to clear a scope will also require you to make a scalopp cut on the rear tang, along with a matching cut in the stock. Also doing a D&T on the receiver will instantly trash any collectors value it has/will have.

It's your rifle, and you won't hurt my feelings if you modify it to your taste, so do with it as you wish.

There are a few detailed photos of some comericial Mauser actons on this thread, they might provide you with a few ideas.
    http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3827
    edited November -1
    Bob,I MAY have a solution. Burt,my friend who taught me about guns, said that he "thinks" that he located a base that does not require drilling & tapping. Also, he thinks that we can obtain some quality rings that are "just high enough" to clear the scope without altering the bolt. They are not too high to cause uncomfortable shooting. This would be perfect. Oh! I like that Mauser link...thank you very much. EARL[;)]